Lakland Chi-sonics - what's up with that pickup design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakland Chi-sonics - what's up with that pickup design

While browsing through Lākland's bass inventory, one thing got me both interested and a bit confused.

“Initially, the plan was to develop a product that would produce a warm classic sound, reminiscent of Hagstrom Bi-Sonics,” says Lakland founder and president, Dan Lakin. “But when we got to the five-string version, the Alnicos weren't giving us the output we wanted. Once we went to the Neodymium magnets, a whole world of other possibilities suddenly opened up. Now we have passive pickups that can deliver the clarity and output of many active systems, and active humbuckers that offer unparalleled frequency response and output quality. The result is an incredible variety of choices in terms of bass tone, including tone similar to that heard on a fully mixed recording.”
    Does anyone know just how the old Hagström Bi-Sonics - or their newer incarnation, the Chi-Sonics and Dark Stars - are made? What's the difference between the construction of those and the more commonly known P, J or MM pickups?

The most I've been able to figure out of the Hammon Engineering page is that they use a double row of magnets underneath (no idea which type - Lākland uses Neos) and a metallic bobbin core separating the flatwork - and apparently Darkstars use an eight-layer core laminate as opposed to a five-layer core in the Bi-Sonics. How far off am I from the mark? Considering I'm up to page 12 (going chronologically through the forum and reading about 75% of the threads till now), I haven't seen these pickups discussed in any great detail - ergo the question.
    Last edited by Stealth; 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarification on the motives
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    I haven't seen these pickups discussed in any great detail - ergo the question.
    I don't think we have had a discussion on these. Someone here may know some detail on the old Hagstrom pickups .... Jonson maybe?

I'm pretty sure the Bi-Sonic uses alnico magnets, since they said alnico wasn't giving them what they wanted.

Rick Turner was the one that added the second magnet to the pickups back when Alembic was doing work on those old Guilds.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The owner of the little company in Chicago that make the lakland pickups was around here a month or so ago. Seems like a nice fellow too.
      The website is here:
      Welcome to Hanson Pickups!

Comment

This is Bo Pirruccello from Hanson Pickups. We prototype and build pickups for Lakland. We worked closely with Dan Lakin in the development of the chi sonic pickup design. Without going into much detail, bi sonic/darkstar pickups are like big P90's, narrow bobbins, large pole pieces and big alnico bar magnets. Our design is similar to the Hagstrom bi sonics, without the apparatus involved with adjusting pole height. We like the sound of the neodymiums, and with the added benefit of a narrower profile, it enabled us to develop a two bobbin humbucking version.
        We just got back from the Arlington Vintage Guitar show, saw some great stuff. Hope this helps, hadn't checked in for a while.

Bo Pirruccello
        Welcome to Hanson Pickups!
        Welcome to Hanson Guitars!
        Bo Pirruccello
        Hanson pickups/Hanson guitars, Lakland Basses
        Chicago, IL USA

Comment

Thanks for the details. Much obliged.
          Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
          Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Working...
          X