Losing a lot of spools due to pinching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
    yeah I have been around and around about shipping- its got to be packed right when they ship 40 pounds in one box.
    At one point I was considering making a re-useable packing crate.
    If the box gets dropped- believe me I have had boxes show up almost destroyed because the the smallish size and heavy content or its packaged with the weight off center- once its dropped it increases the chance of pinching.
    It seems to me that the bobbins are quite strong if held on an axle, so a reusable wooden shipping container with the spool on a piece of iron pipe that's fixed to the two ends of the box could work. There would be two solid closed-cell foam spacer washers between the flanges and the two end walls, so if the box is dropped on a end, the load is largely carried by the central tube of the spool, and not by the flanges. The spool must be unable to move along the pipe ending with a hard stop, or one will get a strong slide-hammer effect.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
      ....If the box gets dropped- believe me I have had boxes show up almost destroyed because the the smallish size and heavy content or its packaged with the weight off center- once its dropped it increases the chance of pinching....
      Which bring to mind, if you've ever seen the inside of the UPS distribution depots, you'd see how many times a package is "placed" (read that "thrown") into parcel bins as it trolleys it's way around the inside of the building, then gets "placed" (read that "thrown") in a truck by a helper with a gentle "lob" so the guy in the truck can stack it for transport.

You'd wonder how anything get delivered without incident.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Ive spooled and packed spools for years. All titanium. Everything is respooled before leaveing the plant. Some companies dont do this. Different grades of wire can payoff different. Spooling useing a spool that sits upright,paying off from top to bottom can cause trouble when a loose wrap of wire falls down. If the wire is not spooled with enough tension the result will be loose wraps thought out the spool. This is way we respooled everything that went out the door. Often when wire is let go with out checking on it there can be all kinds of trouble.As Jason said I have cut through many a mess before the wire goes out the door. Ive almost always spooled with the wire paying off left to right,not up and down. Another way to fix a spool spooled in this manner is to have someone stand be hehind the spool with a small wheel with bearings inside of it on a rod and with other hand guiding the wire from behind while the guy spooling provides tension by hand. You have to spool slower also. Also when spooling from left to right you can mount the spool with a flange to provide tension on the spool it self. This can keep the spool at a steady speed with enough tension so if you hit a tangle you can slow down you spooling speed and not have it break, or spin to fast making the wire loose.
        When packing for shipping all it take is someone putting down a spool to hard.This will make the wire loose too. Ive packed spools horizontil for shiping to cut down on shipping trouble. Ive seen both end of it. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
        X