No announcement yet.

Gibson weirdness SG P90 mounting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sur abou the screws- I always thought they were 3-48 's because thats what I use= I am pretty sure they are!
    I habe built over a dozen SG's from scratch in the last 6 years and you could screw through the back of the guitar for sure!!!
    You can go on my myspace and see photos of a few of them- just in my photos albums
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=487849

Comment

Nice guitars Jason! I love the black archtop.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Do you ever make guitars anymore?
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
          I am not sur abou the screws- I always thought they were 3-48 's because thats what I use= I am pretty sure they are!
          I habe built over a dozen SG's from scratch in the last 6 years and you could screw through the back of the guitar for sure!!!
          You can go on my myspace and see photos of a few of them- just in my photos albums
          Jason's My Photos Photo Album - MySpace Photos
          My favorite of your SG's is that one with the small-block inlays.

And I like how you didn't put a 1st fret inlay on there like the one I used to have.

This one (Gibson) had an ebony fretboard and those small-block inlays way back in the day ('78):
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

You know I had a vintage SG once that I sold and kick myself now for doing that. It was one I have never seen since anywhere or in any SG reference book. It had slide switches but wasn't one of the crap early 70's that had those in them. The guy told me it was like a '64-'65 or in that era. I realize now from remembering the tone it had that it had early patents probably. That thing had amazing tone. I had a guy in a store demo one of the new Gibson SG's with P90s and it sounded like a TELE. Horrible guitar, mine was warm and sweet. I wonder if Gibson ever made anything worth a darn after 1968...
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              ....I wonder if Gibson ever made anything worth a darn after 1968...

Yep they do, but one has to pony up for the buy-in which is where most take a pass.

The late 90's onward Gibson Custom Shop stuff is really quite good. The "R" Les Pauls are as close as one can get to an original (not exact but close), they're very nice. My 2004 R9 is the best current chunk of wood I've owned.

Most of the "Historic" series long-tenon non-chambered/weight-relieved under 9-lbs stuff is pretty darn good IMHO.

The nay-sayers scoff-n-balk because of the price, but it's not all about the price is it?, just like cars, you can't get a 'Vette for the price of an Aveo.
              (Vette's are also overpriced)
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post

The late 90's onward Gibson Custom Shop stuff is really quite good.
                I started working in the Gibson Custom Shop in '97, so I take full responsibility for their come back :smirk:
                Last edited by David Schwab; 11-13-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: fixed the quote tag
                Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                  The nay-sayers scoff-n-balk because of the price, but it's not all about the price is it?, just like cars, you can't get a 'Vette for the price of an Aveo.
                  (Vette's are also overpriced)
                  Well for the price you get this lack of quality control. Think that fingerboard needed some sanding after it was machined? This is on a Les Paul Custom Historic.

I'm sure the frets were poorly leveled as well, which is the case with every Gibson and Fender I've seen since the mid 80's.

For the price you are better off going to a small builder.
                  Attached Files
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

that was a nice piece of wood on that SG. I dont own any guitars I made but I have an SG blanked out of some old honduras thats all striped and ribboned I am saving for me.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Well for the price you get this lack of quality control. Think that fingerboard needed some sanding after it was machined? This is on a Les Paul Custom Historic.

I'm sure the frets were poorly leveled as well, which is the case with every Gibson and Fender I've seen since the mid 80's.

For the price you are better off going to a small builder.
                      There are allways exceptions, or maybe mine is the exception.

All the frets seem to high to me these days. Put a set of 10's on an off-the-shelf guitar and one can allways detune a note just by pressing harder.
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                        that was a nice piece of wood on that SG. I dont own any guitars I made but I have an SG blanked out of some old honduras thats all striped and ribboned I am saving for me.
                        Better late than never.
                        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I have a friend with a Historic and he refinished it and says it sounds way better. He thinks they are using too much plasticizer in the finishes, so they're not finished the way they were. Still stuck in my mind is the email Gibson sent a guy who complained about the tuners on his Gibson not working right, they told him that "Gibsons aren't for players, if you want a guitar to play buy an Epiphone."
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I have a friend with a Historic and he refinished it and says it sounds way better.
                            I have a bridge I can sell him. Honest.

Oh and red guitars are louder.

"Gibsons aren't for players, if you want a guitar to play buy an Epiphone."
                            I've heard this before.... sad, isn't it?

Comment

Well if you're finishing a guitar with heavy plasticizers in it, its going to be more like a poly finish, i think he said the finish was thick too, that stuff does matter. From photos I've seen of vintage les Pauls from the classic era those finishes were pretty thin, which would allow the guitar to be more resonant. There is a video on youtube a comparison of a historic and DiMarzio's old 'burst played acoustically, the historic sounds bright and harsh, the vintage one sounds loud and mellow. We've argued about this before, poly and thick finishes make a hard edged sounding guitar. They aren't finishing them the way they originally were done.
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

...Still stuck in my mind is the email Gibson sent a guy who complained about the tuners on his Gibson not working right, they told him that "Gibsons aren't for players, if you want a guitar to play buy an Epiphone."...
                                Yeah right.
                                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                                X