No announcement yet.

Source for stamping covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more ask: I read about the tin whiskers problem. If I solder the corners of a self made cover with tin solder, the whiskers will grow there?

The only hard and low temperature solder I know is tin.

Comment

Joe, sterling silver doesn't harden with quenching. Guys who do repousse, an embossing technique that uses hammering to raise decorative areas, in silver have to anneal and quench or the silver cracks....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Artur pickupmaker View Post
        One more ask: I read about the tin whiskers problem. If I solder the corners of a self made cover with tin solder, the whiskers will grow there?

The only hard and low temperature solder I know is tin.
        Pure tin will grow whiskers, but for soldering covers it won't matter.

For soldering for instance a pickguard, whiskers could very well matter.

Tin alloyed with something like lead will not grow whiskers, so long as the non-tin component is large enough. Best way to find out about a particular solder alloy is to ask a manufacturer of the alloy in question. It's a big issue in electronics manufacturing, and solder makers will always know which alloys grow whiskers. Keep asking until you get a clear answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          Joe, sterling silver doesn't harden with quenching. Guys who do repousse, an embossing technique that uses hammering to raise decorative areas, in silver have to anneal and quench or the silver cracks....
          Possum,
          reread what Joe wrote... I think you misinterpreted his post.

Comment

sorry, dislexia kicked in, at least I take the time to correct my backwards typing...
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
            X