Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbforrer View Post
    Hi David,

Judging from the sound clip, your stacked blade sounds like it has potential. One can hear that Hendrix tone. WiIl have to explore that idea some more.
    That's not my stack, that's an old Duncan Hot Stack similar to the one in this thread, but with a blade in the middle. The guitar in the clip was an old wooden neck Kramer with a Floyd Rose and the three Duncan pickups. The body is alder.

My stack wasn't as hot and was much brighter. I needed more space to wind on.

Here it is with no pickups or pickguard. I call it the "Splatter-caster"
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The twin blade is a "Coolrail" by Dragonfire, most likely Chinese made.

JB.

Comment

I stuck one of these in my Tele:

Guitar Parts Resource: Pickups Other

I figured for $19 if I didn't like it I could rewind it. It actually sounds pretty good. It's not overly dark like some dual rail humbuckers I've dealt with. It sounds like a slightly overwound Tele pickup.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I stuck one of these in my Tele: (image deleted)

I figured for $19 if I didn't like it I could rewind it. It actually sounds pretty good. It's not overly dark like some dual rail humbuckers I've dealt with. It sounds like a slightly overwound Tele pickup.
          Twenty bucks? This could make for a very interesting experiment on how much difference hand winding makes versus the various metal and magnetic parts:

Get a pair of the same make and model of economy pickup. Permanently mark them A and B by engraving the letter into the parts. Play the two pickups and keep notes. How alike are they?

Rewind one of them, say the one marked B. Repeat the comparative playing and notetaking. How much difference did the rewind make?

The final test would be to rewind A, and compare the two rewound pickups.

For comparing pickups, it is very helpful if one have a test guitar set up to allow pickup switching without disassembly or restringing.

Comment

Greetings All,

Thanks to all the kind and useful help, I managed to complete set of working stacks for my test guitar. I am happy with their respective sound also how quiet they are. Please see attached pictures for details.

The middle pickup is an original SD --- I made the neck and bridge.
            The neck pickup has staggered A5 rods and wound to 14K (2 x 7K coils) with #44 enamel. The bridge pickup has a blade and wound to 16K (2 x 8K coils). The magnets are a couple of small neo disks glued to the bottom of the blade. This pickup sounds bright and very alive.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Regards,

JB.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice work!

I always thought those closed maroon covers with the logo were kind of classy.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Thanks. I'm going to make a new one at some point. Right now I have a dual rail pickup in the guitar that sounds pretty good.

Right, it was the hot stack and two vintage stacks.

I think they sounded very good. I got a great Hendrixy neck tone, and the bridge sounded like a Strat with some oomph.

I posted this clip in another thread. This was recorded on a Tascam Porta-One back in about 1987. The tape is a bit deteriorated in parts, so excuse the drops outs. But you can get an idea of the pickup used in a moderately distorted setting.

The guitar playing the melody/lead is the hot stack. The rhythm guitar is a Tele.

Drums and Wires
                Very Kinks-esque sound, nice.....very nice

Comment

Working...
                X