Feel the Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel the Force

I was playing with a pair of neo magnets (1" diameter by 0.125" thick from StewMac) mounted in an old drill-press vice, and I tried moving a handheld piece of 0.020" thick copper flashing sheet rapidly back and forth between the poles.

One can easily feel the eddy-current drag. It feels like the copper sheet is swimming in a vat of honey.

Aluminum also works, brass a little less so, and non-magnetic stainless steel (type 304) not at all.

I love physics!

A neo sphere dropped through a copper pipe is really neat to watch too. I have done this trick for people while slyly exchanging the neo for a plain ball bearing that looked the same. Fun!
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Now thats just cool. Im gonna have some fun with that tommorow.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how Nickel Silver compares to the other metals.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Make sure the door is closed so your wife doesn't catch you....."honey what ARE you doing?" I playing with my eddy currents sweetie.....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            I'd be interested to see how Nickel Silver compares to the other metals.
            It will probably be like #304 stainless, as the skin depths are similar.

Comment

Here in London our Science museum has a kiddie section, where they can run wild & learn absolutely nothing about science(!)...anyway, they have this well funky little unit - it's a toweresque thingymajig about chest high with a big open slot down the middle from top to bottom - either side of this slot is lined with magnets - the idea is to take a disc (they have several each made with different metal) & hold the disc at the top of the slot and let go - the copper & aluminium discs really do take an impressive amount of time to meander down to the bottom of the slot. It just doesn't look right...quite an optical illusion - nothing is touching these discs, but they're falling in slow motion.

I read the accompanying explanation - "eddy currents, blah blah, inducing, blah" ....all a bit unecessary, so I got some crayons & went on to spend a bit of time colouring in. (one day I hope to have some kids of my own & take them there too).

PS ...& don't get me started on the tiny bits of dry ice they were dropping onto water (in subdued lighting - all lit from the side)- akin to eddy currents in dry ice 'smoke' but - the end result transcended 'cool'!! ( http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/...1b9b9feff0.jpg )
              Last edited by peskywinnets; 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

My 1/2" x 2" x 2" neo block will fall in slow motion from beneath a thick aluminum plate. It's really weird to try to slide it around, it definitely pulls the aluminum around with it. No end of fun. There are some kids working on a project to recover lost energy in semi trucks from going over bumps in the road. They must have used magnets in the shocks. They were able to regenerate 3% of the energy lost in an average trip. That's a huge amount. I think regenerative breaking only captures 5%...

Comment

Working...
                X