Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0.10 wire

Greetings everyone

this is my first post,and im proud to be a part of another great community in electronics.

and also theres some question that i cant find the answers,eventhough
    theres some,but still cant get curiosity off my head,(and also stopping me from punching the walls)

ok,i just get myself some 0.10m wire today,(and yesterday,and yestermonth)30 AWG right!?,and since that's all i cant get locally(and cheaply) i have no other choice but to maximize it,at least get a decent sound out of it.

1.From several buildings i know that bigger wire will not gonna give enough bass due to fewer windings,but is that true? from +- 2250 turns of 30 AWG that i wound,i get around 8k,and a loud treble sounds,correct me if i wrong.

2.hand wound vs. machine wound,at first i wound using my hands that takes all day long,but the sounds is nice,it gives bassy sound compared to the one that i wound using a drill,and my question is between hand or machine windings,will it give drastic tone changes?

3.last,what should i do with this wire afterall? to get the sound that at least close enough to be the sam as the thinner wire.

thanks

It's unclear what type of pickup that your're creating. But typically pickups are wound using 42, 43, 44 AWG.

It sounds like your winding the wire around the bobbin totally by hand, if it takes all day. Generally, winders use a machine to spin the bobbin while hand guiding the wire onto the bobbin.

A cnc winding machine spins and guides the wire.

here are a couple links to help you better understand the process.

Pickup winding

humbucker

Originally posted by therizky View Post
    Greetings everyone

this is my first post,and im proud to be a part of another great community in electronics.

and also theres some question that i cant find the answers,eventhough
    theres some,but still cant get curiosity off my head,(and also stopping me from punching the walls)

ok,i just get myself some 0.10m wire today,(and yesterday,and yestermonth)30 AWG right!?,and since that's all i cant get locally(and cheaply) i have no other choice but to maximize it,at least get a decent sound out of it.

1.From several buildings i know that bigger wire will not gonna give enough bass due to fewer windings,but is that true? from +- 2250 turns of 30 AWG that i wound,i get around 8k,and a loud treble sounds,correct me if i wrong.

2.hand wound vs. machine wound,at first i wound using my hands that takes all day long,but the sounds is nice,it gives bassy sound compared to the one that i wound using a drill,and my question is between hand or machine windings,will it give drastic tone changes?

3.last,what should i do with this wire afterall? to get the sound that at least close enough to be the sam as the thinner wire.

thanks
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by therizky View Post
      from +- 2250 turns of 30 AWG that i wound,i get around 8k,and a loud treble sounds,correct me if i wrong.
      There is no way you got 8K from 2250 turns of 30 AWG. Something is wrong there.

800 Ohms maybe, but not 8,000 Ohms.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Let's start over here, 0.1mm is .0039" which is 38 AWG.
        This is still in the realm of possibility for lower impedance pickups.
        Ohms per foot is 650 for 38 AWG
        800 ohms sounds about right for 1200 feet of wire. That's about a 3" long bobbin.

Comment

"It's unclear what type of pickup that your're creating. But typically pickups are wound using 42, 43, 44 AWG."

i'm going to build just a standard single coil and also i have read that humbucker article by John Fisher,what confuses me is the performance of my very first pickup (which is wound by hand) compared to my next builds is different (with same magnets strength,same resistance,and same turns i guest) is that have anything to do with wire tensions?

"There is no way you got 8K from 2250 turns of 30 AWG. Something is wrong there.

800 Ohms maybe, but not 8,000 Ohms."

o well,i really want to post some pictures right now,but my digicam is not available by now,ok,but lets say that i have wrong readings going on,but from your experience,what do you think with this wire? is this still suitable for building pickups? coz if it doesnt,im not gonna buy it again.
          but anyway i think im gonna stop blaming the wire, coz last night,i have tried to mount it on my acoustic,and the sound is very different,it even creates a deep bass feedback,something that i couldnt find on my strat,and also im sure theres many things going on uneffectively on internal wiring there,which is roughly abused(but still in a good way),i think im gonna make it more nice and tidy.

Comment

You are going to end up with a low impedance pickup with that wire, because you wont get that many turns on the bobbin. You will then probably need to boost the output level with either a transformer or preamp.

The tone will be very clear and clean sounding. More hi-fi than a Strat pickup, because the resonant peak will be higher.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

ok,so if i want to reach heavy tone,i HAVE TO use very thin wire,well then,why dont just use wire that thinner than 0.006 mm?

and also i need some suggestions about magnets too,coz small round diameter is hard to find here,i usually use magnet that i got from rusted small speakers,any suggestion on design?

Comment

You can get a heavy pickup by wrapping 10,000 turns of 38AWG. The .006mm wire sounds impractically thin, .06mm would be OK, about .0023" which is 42.5AWG or so I think.

Comment

i have read one article somewhere on the net,forgot the site,its said you can alter the pickups sound by adding external parallel capacitor or resistor.I havent try it,but will that help?

Comment

Working...
                  X