Laser Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Cutting

I am looking to buy a laser engraver/cutter to make bobbins and other odds and ends with. I am curious as to what you guys that own one like and dont like. If it would just cut forbon, it would be fine for what I need. Cost efficiency is higher on my list than most anything else. I am just looking for a fairly priced machine. The software I can find with ease if it is not proprietary to a particular machine. (Don't look at me like tha, Belwar )

Any input or even a place to start looking would be very helpful.

Thanks
    Wimsatt Instruments

Alot of people use lasers from Universal Laser. I have one, and I know seymour duncan has one as well.. Though mine is bigger (Thats what she said). The one I have is 120 watt (dual 60 watt tubes) and the bed is something like 48 x 36. It has 8" of z travel as well. very cool.

I've had very good service from them, and the machine is designed for servicability.

Good ones are not cheap though. If you want something cut let me know and i'll blast it off for you. I need a file in Corel Draw format.

Comment

Mojo will also cut stuff for you for very reasonable fees. If you're going to cut flatwork you'll have to have an air exhaust for fumes. You'll probably want to get something that is easily serviced, I see Chinese ones on Ebay for reasonable but who is going to service them? Eventually they will come down in price enough that probably most of us will own them. Its cheaper now just to have someone else deal with the machine headaches...
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

exhaust is the easiest and cheapest. I use two of these...

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Just instead of the bag I have two 12 foot hoses that I snake out the side door of the shop. One is the suction for the table, one is the suction for the smoke. It's more than i'll ever need.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
          If you want something cut let me know and i'll blast it off for you. I need a file in Corel Draw format.

I've been meaning to talk to you about a few things...
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

any time buddy

Comment

My laser guy is so cheap and so fast with Corel that I could probably never justify owning a laser myself. New tubes are scary expensive too.

Someone who does a lot of custom flatwork is Michael Gurian in Seattle.
              He's an easy guy to find but I don't know what he charges.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                My laser guy is so cheap and so fast with Corel that I could probably never justify owning a laser myself. New tubes are scary expensive too.

Someone who does a lot of custom flatwork is Michael Gurian in Seattle.
                He's an easy guy to find but I don't know what he charges.
                Mike's a good friend. I cant say enough good things about his company. we buy "boatloads" of stuff from him... funny because his shop is on a barge :> litterally. I guess he likes to keep his intrests mobile!

Comment

Working...
                X