I can't go over 3k per coil :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't go over 3k per coil :(

I need to wind 2 coils with atleast 8k in each coil but i max i can do is 3.5k even if i over wound the coils. I am using 43 awg wire and variable speed hand drill. I read that in this thread,
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t4532/
    NightWinder:

43 is your mouthpiece.....I can hit 10k per bobbin no problem.
    but how?

Or i got thicker wire mislabeled? Yes it is possible from where i got that. May be 41 or 42. What do you think?

What does the label on the wire spool say? Where did you get it? How are you tensioning the wire. There has to be tension on the wire. It does sound like you have a different size wire, but need more info....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Yeah, either you are winding very loose coils, or you have some heavy build wire.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        What does the label on the wire spool say? Where did you get it? How are you tensioning the wire. There has to be tension on the wire. It does sound like you have a different size wire, but need more info....
        I bought the wire locally. It is very differently available here. It is only available according to mass of the copper in the spool not lenght. Originally it is available in very large quantity eg 2kg. So if i need that in less amount they got small spool labeled with marker but they are not packed as large once. So i assume there can be a mistake in labeling of wire.

Comment

I have 2 guesses.

1st: You live in a country that is not the USA. 42 AWG means 42 American Wire Gauge. I think in Europe it is 45 or 46 of your wire gauge.

2nd: You are using a needle multimeter and the ohmage dial is too far one way.
          Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by automan View Post
            I have 2 guesses.

1st: You live in a country that is not the USA. 42 AWG means 42 American Wire Gauge. I think in Europe it is 45 or 46 of your wire gauge.

2nd: You are using a needle multimeter and the ohmage dial is too far one way.
            Yeah i know we used British system here. We refer 43 AWG as 46 SWG.

I used digital multimeter.

Comment

take a micrometer reading or use a dial guage to measure the thickness of the wire.

Comment

Maybe you're using too much tension and shorting the coil somehwere?

Comment

My guess is if the wire IS 43, that you're getting some shorts.

Comment

I'd have to agree that you may be getting shorts. What size and type bobbins are you using? That also can affect the amount of wire that you are able to fit on it.
                    Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                      I'd have to agree that you may be getting shorts. What size and type bobbins are you using? That also can affect the amount of wire that you are able to fit on it.
                      Thanks guys.

I am using standard size bobbins.

Short could be because low quality wire ?

Or anything else.

Btw, i never heard about shorts before

Comment

Originally posted by ubaid88 View Post
                        Yeah i know we used British system here.
                        What country are you in?

Please update your user profile to give city and country, or at least the country. It makes a difference in the answers to your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                          What country are you in?

Please update your user profile to give city and country, or at least the country. It makes a difference in the answers to your questions.

I am from Karachi, Pakistan. We got copper wires industry here. The wires are manufacture locally from imported copper for which is further used in motor winding and transformers.
                          And i have updated my profile.

Comment

Holy cow, that's certainly an interesting locale....wish I had some words of wisdom, but I do not. Do you have something to measure the thickness of the wire? On my winding rig, which uses a variable speed drill like yours, I have to put a fair amount of tension on the wire...to the point where I kind of get scared that the wire will break.

Comment

Originally posted by csparks75 View Post
                              Holy cow, that's certainly an interesting locale....wish I had some words of wisdom, but I do not. Do you have something to measure the thickness of the wire? On my winding rig, which uses a variable speed drill like yours, I have to put a fair amount of tension on the wire...to the point where I kind of get scared that the wire will break.
                              I think normal college lab micro-meter screw gauge is useless for this. What do u think ?
                              Last edited by ubaid88; 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X