First Pickup Build - does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pickup Build - does this work?

So after being frustrated with the high (and fluxuating with the exchange rate) prices of pickups, coupled with availability issues in my area of Canada, I have decided to make my own. I don't want to give th impression that I'm just a cheap DIYer, I also really enjoy experimenting to achieve different tones.
    So here it is: The Plan (am I crazy or does this work?)

1. Going to take single coil bobbins from a junk strat copy (just the bobbins not the wire).
    2. Replace the pole peices with steel pole pieces (same size as existing pole peices).
    3. Wrap it in 42 awg single build plain enamel wire. (haven't decided on number of turns). I got a price for 5 lbs of wire for about 35 plus shipping from MWS.
    4. Planning on putting an alnico magnet (5,4,3,2?) on the bottom of the bobbin. Could I use a Neo bar magnet here?
    5. After all this I will pot it in wax.

What do you think? (my oringinal inspiration came from a friends set of LF steel pole pickups)
    Last edited by tonyv77; 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM. Reason: Added info about wire

I can't remark on it working, but you got a hell of a deal on the wire! I'll give you $50 for it right now.
    Last edited by cryptozoo; 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

That has to be $35 a pound with a 5 pound minimum, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyv77 View Post
        So after being frustrated with the high (and fluxuating with the exchange rate) prices of pickups, coupled with availability issues in my area of Canada, I have decided to make my own. I don't want to give th impression that I'm just a cheap DIYer, I also really enjoy experimenting to achieve different tones.
        So here it is: The Plan (am I crazy or does this work?)

1. Going to take single coil bobbins from a junk strat copy (just the bobbins not the wire).
        2. Replace the pole peices with steel pole pieces (same size as existing pole peices).
        3. Wrap it in 42 awg single build plain enamel wire. (haven't decided on number of turns). I got a price for 5 lbs of wire for about 35 plus shipping from MWS.
        4. Planning on putting an alnico magnet (5,4,3,2?) on the bottom of the bobbin. Could I use a Neo bar magnet here?
        5. After all this I will pot it in wax.

What do you think? (my oringinal inspiration came from a friends set of LF steel pole pickups)
        No reason at all that wouldnt work.

Comment

you may be right

After research that does seem a little too good.....i think there's a bit of an error on the quote I got from MWS. Oh well, still not bad compared to SM.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
            No reason at all that wouldnt work.
            Thanks that what I needed to hear. Now I just need to figure out things such as a magnet type and which direction to charge it in.

Comment

wax on...

Keep your wax below 150 Fahrenheit. Higher temps lead to unpredictable results, like melted insulation.
              Shannon Hooge
              NorthStar Guitar
              northstarguitar.com

Comment

I have what I think is a related question. Can you take a cheap strat-type pickup with the ceramic magnet bar glued to the bottom, and replace the ceramic magnet with an alnico magnet? Would this make any difference in the tone of the pickup? I have been reading back posts for a couple of months, and this is my first stupid question!

Comment

Putting puppies in an oven doesn't make them biscuits. It would work, just not to the effect you're probably trying to get. Try it anyway. You can get a loaded strat pickguard for like $15 online. What's to loose?

Comment

Working...
                  X