Noob with some easy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob with some easy questions

Guys, I have largely learned to make pickups on my own and through experimentation. There is not a ton of basic info available on the net, until I found this forum. To find this much knowledge and experience in one place is a freaking treasure trove. I'm not just brown-nosing, I have learned more in an hour and half of browsing and searching than I have in months of trashing bobbins and breaking wire. I feel good about the basics, I've made several working and decent sounding StewMac kit pickups. One of the complaints that I have about the available parts is that there are no real choices for covers. What considerations are necessary for me to make wood covers for humbuckers? I'm not asking about the woodworking of it, just the technical aspects of tone. What am I sacrificing? Can I overcome these issues in some way? Can I use luan or something else as a base instead of the usual metal base?

When I made wooden covered pickups, I superglue thin metal on the 2 long sides to give me a place to solder the base to. That's how I attach it to the base. I don't know what kind of metal it is. I got it out of the bottom of shitty jazz bass cavities.

I want to start doing it baseless, though. Put the parts in the cover, then fill the rest up with epoxy. All you'd need to do is fabricate the side mounts.
    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Working...
    X