No announcement yet.

removing insulation from formvar wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enzo (I believe) favors the fiberglass eraser for PCBs and it works well on magnet wire too.

[IA0006] Coarse FybRglass® Refill

holy moly check their video!
    http://wma.str3am.com/erasersv/RT2s.wmv

works to 48awg! and they sell those little wheels... http://www.eraser.com/catalog.cgi?mo...roduct_id=2464

I could rig one of those in 2h for ~$20!
    Last edited by tedmich; 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I just use these incredibly small wire strippers

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
        Try M.E.K
        Nasty stuff, but, yeah, that should do it.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Nasty stuff, but, yeah, that should do it.
          It's only nasty if you spill it on something you don't intend to.

I learned about it back in the late 70's when a guy showed me how to re-cone speakers, he used it to disolve the glue on the surround and spider and clean up the frames for re-glueing the new components in.

Keytones are a very high petrolium fraction and cut/disolve most organic glues and coatings very well. Spill a little on the ground and watch how fast it evaporates.
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Keytones are a very high petrolium fraction and cut/disolve most organic glues and coatings very well. Spill a little on the ground and watch how fast it evaporates.
            Little quibble: MEK is manufactured, not fractionated out through distillation.Good thing it stinks so you know to ventilate your work space.

If MEK doesn't soften Formvar well enough, you can mix in some acetone.
            No smoking, please,

-drh
            "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
              Little quibble: MEK is manufactured, not fractionated out through distillation.Good thing it stinks so you know to ventilate your work space.

If MEK doesn't soften Formvar well enough, you can mix in some acetone.
              No smoking, please,

-drh
              Quibling is fine, I did say "Keytones" not referring specifically to Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Is that not correct?
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

It's only nasty if you spill it on something you don't intend to.
                Or breathe too much of it in! We used to have these huge drums of it at American Showster. We used it to clean the bodies before we sprayed vinyl sealer on them. I hated that stuff too.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Or breathe too much of it in! We used to have these huge drums of it at American Showster. We used it to clean the bodies before we sprayed vinyl sealer on them. I hated that stuff too.
                  FYI the band in the little Scottish village in "Local Hero" is called the Acetones,

chemist humor in a beautiful little movie!

PS why is this funny?

Comment

Ba + 2Na = Banana

Comment

What about the wire on top of an aspirin tablet and under a hot iron trick? Is salicylic acid bad for copper longevity?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        What about the wire on top of an aspirin tablet and under a hot iron trick? Is salicylic acid bad for copper longevity?
                        I tried this exactly once. The fumes are bad for human longevity. The lungs are the first to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X