Butyrate Bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    Since you compared it to an AllParts bobbin with different dimensions, you can't say the material is causing the difference in tone.

For a real test, have some bobbins made with your dies with some other plastic, like ABS, and then do a comparison wind.

They look very good either way.
    Good idea. Having a few made out ABS or styrene should be pretty simple. I'll try to get that done this coming week.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

While we're on this topic, I wonder whether WSC would do a run in Butyrate with their molds. ...group buy maybe? I'm willing to look into it if anyone else is interested. Of course they're not going to be to PAF specs.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
        While we're on this topic, I wonder whether WSC would do a run in Butyrate with their molds. ...group buy maybe? I'm willing to look into it if anyone else is interested. Of course they're not going to be to PAF specs.
        I would be VERY interested Kevin.

Comment

I would be interested, but I bet you'd have to order several thousand.

Jon, send me a pair of your butys so I can A/B them with what I'm doing in ABS. Have you thought of doing a run of ABS and selling those? I'd be interested depending on what specs you used for the core that is...
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
            I am with you

Comment

Yeah Possum,
              but you need bobbins anyway.
              So why not get made some butyrate bobbins in a cream color that does not remind me of the toilet at our local station.
              If we get a group of maybe 5 winders willing to pay 1000 $ each I am shure
              we are able to get a good quote.

Comment

For that much money we could get a mold made and thereafter bobbins would be probably five cents each. Maybe you could convince them that there would be high demand for them if they did them with no investment from us....
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Dave....

Who has the knowledge and is experienced enough tho check with those bobbin makers ?

Comment

If you get them made in the USA you will be very, very lucky to get them at a price that even approaches $.50each. Realistically the per piece cost in the USA is closer to $1.00each. The material is very expensive and the cheapest sources in the USA want you to buy 1000lbs. at a shot. The advantage is you will be getting the raw material from the same source Gibson bought it from but it is not cheap. Having them make overseas by WSC would help with the material cost as the material would probably come from China, India or Korea.
                    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                    www.throbak.com
                    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Working...
                    X