Good 50mm Nickel Bucker Covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 50mm Nickel Bucker Covers?

Suddenly I'm having a hard time finding quality 50mm bucker covers. The most recent batch was an odd size that wouldn't clear the bobbins or baseplate. They were physically too small and would not snap down over the pickups.

Need some quick.

Thanks.

Comment

I get mine from mojo
      Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Mojo as well.
        Happy with them.
        Generally speaking, happy with the service from David there who is a very helpful person.
        www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

It's a major problem and the ones that are available are not even nickel these days.They are a yellowish chrome and all are plated over copper.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
            It's a major problem and the ones that are available are not even nickel these days.They are a yellowish chrome and all are plated over copper.
            Buy the plain unplated mojo covers, polish them and plate them yourself. There are plenty of diy nickel plating kits available from model engineering suppliers.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
              Buy the plain unplated mojo covers, polish them and plate them yourself. There are plenty of diy nickel plating kits available from model engineering suppliers.

Cheers

Andrew
              Do you achieve good results with plating the covers yourself ? Is it Electroless plating?
              www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Originally posted by Yves View Post
                Do you achieve good results with plating the covers yourself ? Is it Electroless plating?
                Yes The plating is done with anode and electrodes and a nickel solution with a small power supply here´s a link to a uk supplier

NORTHUMBRIAN

You will have to polish the covers before plating obviously as the surface finish is only going to be as good as whats underneath.
                Cheers

Andrew

Comment

If you plate them yourself you may end up with a pure Nickel plate which tarnishes black. To get the tarnish you usually think of with Nickel guitar parts you need Brite Nickel plate.
                  They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                  www.throbak.com
                  Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post

Cheers

Andrew
                    I believe I have it covered ( pardon the pun ) now. I was pointing out to anyone who intends to buy ready-plated covers what the problems are. Also, selling nickel plated covers that are in fact chrome is miss-selling.
                    But cheers Andrew. Appreciated.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Do Allparts, WD and Mojo all sell the same covers? I'm running into problems with covers from one vendor fitting on other core parts from another...that was a first for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X