Cream "Gibson" Color Survey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Possum View Post
    ...So they ran out of black and had a ton of creme available so it ended up in bobbins along with running their rings and pickguards probably....
    Except that they're not the same color as the rings and pickguards.
    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Well they are, have you seen P90 covers from the 50's, they are a very light creme just like the PAF bobbins. Maybe they just used what the manufacturer had in stock at the time.
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Well they are, have you seen P90 covers from the 50's, they are a very light creme just like the PAF bobbins. Maybe they just used what the manufacturer had in stock at the time.
        P-90 covers in the 50's come in at least two shades. The 50's P-90 covers I have are not the same as the cream as the PAF bobbin. The cream Gibson used varies quite a bit from part to part IMO.
        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
        www.throbak.com
        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
          P-90 covers in the 50's come in at least two shades. The 50's P-90 covers I have are not the same as the cream as the PAF bobbin. The cream Gibson used varies quite a bit from part to part IMO.
          This is my experience also.
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Probably just depends on who peed in the coffee pot that day...
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I don't know what P90's you've seen but every one I've seen have been in the range of old PAF "creme" bobbins, subject to the same problems of photographing them. They've all been a very light creamy white color the same as the PAF bobbins posted here....
              Attached Files
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I don't know what P90's you've seen but every one I've seen have been in the range of old PAF "creme" bobbins, subject to the same problems of photographing them. They've all been a very light creamy white color the same as the PAF bobbins posted here....
                Someone peed in your coffee?
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Someone cremed in my bobbins, WTF????
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Left is a 56' Les Paul P-90 cover. Right is a 52' Les Paul P-90 cover. These are shot and color corrected with the same set-up as the swatches.

www.throbak.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                      Left is a 56' Les Paul P-90 cover. Right is a 52' Les Paul P-90 cover. These are shot and color corrected with the same set-up as the swatches.

WOW!

Comment

Looks like aging changes, notice on the right how the edges are whiter than the top, nicotine....
                        Notice on the whiter one that its darker towards the top, more like the right cover, I bet they started out the same color. All the ones I've seen look like the left. How about showing the inside of the covers.
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          ...I bet they started out the same color. ... All the ones I've seen look like the left....
                          Nope, totally disagree, not purely nicotene.

It's evident in all old plastics where human skin leaves oils on the surface which effects the color fade/non-fade. If you look into how old plastic toys and dolls age you'd definately see they show these very same tell-tale signs (of handling) lighter color where they were touched, yellow/brown where not so touched.

Does'nt have any bearing on original color or the nicotine content of the environment perse'. That is not to say old pickups don't have beer/nicotine dis/coloration but it is to say that old plastic shows the same phenomena without any bar-room blitz.

Old toys display the same effects and (most) were not subject to the bar-room-nicotine thing we tend to dismiss color-aging in pickups with.

Anyone can say "those are not like the ones I've seen" but those two pics actually do represent the vast color difference in "old" bobbins and pickup ring/pickguard plastics the majority of old instrument owners have seen.
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

So lets see the inside of both those covers where less exposure happened. I have seen strat pickguards turn that precise color of creme from being in bars for 20 years, even the covers turn that color, you can't smell it either. If you raise the pickups you see white where air exposure was minimal. Notice the top edge of the darker one is lighter in color. Notice also the right end of the pick guard is darker, lets flip that over too then compare...
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Well here's proof, they were all two shades of white in the same cover
                              Attached Files
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Do you think exposure will make the covers lighter or darker in color? Am I correct that you think both of these will be the same color on the inside the theory being the cover on the right is darker because on top because it got more or less exposure? I can't check this right now but will have a look in the morning.
                                www.throbak.com

Comment

Working...
                                X