Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK sources of pickup wire

Hi
    Can anyone in the UK recommend a good source of pickup wire for me to wind my own?
    Thanks
    James

Scientific Wire of London.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Thanks Spence
      Following the link on their main site to wires.co.uk I see a few candidates.
      ref:EC0063 is enamelled 0.063mm copper wire and is £19 +VAT for 500g.
      ref:SX0063 is solderable 0.063mm enamelled copper and is £21 + VAT for 500g.
      ref:TX0063-500 is polyester G2 enamelled wire and is £30 + VAT for 500g.
      Which do I go for?
      Thanks
      James

Comment

0.063 enamelled. That is the same as 42 AWG. However, there are 3 main gauges that crop up in guitar pickups. 42, 43, and 44 AWG. 42 is most common in humbuckers and strat pickups.

500 g of wire may make you quite a few pickups. You'll have fun getting it off the spool.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Fun getting it off the spool ... oh no that sounds ominous!
          Any tips for exactly what to watch out for and how to get around any problems that might occur?
          Thanks
          James

Comment

I was thinking about getting wire from these guys but still haven't gotten around to ordering anything. The guy on the phone seemed to think that they couldn't actually get the .063 enamelled anymore. He told me that the only .063 was their solderable enamel. Any idea if the difference in tone between the 2 will be that great?

Comment

At a complete guess, none whatsoever, but it will be easier to terminate.
              Where are you getting your magnets and what sort of prices are you paying?
              James

Comment

I got my magnets from Magnet Applications Ltd. For small orders they are not that great but if wanted to order something in the thousands then there prices are a lot better.

I've got a couple hundred 18mm x 5mm on hand at the moment and I've got another 20,000 due in about 3 weeks time. I could part with some of them if you are interested.

Comment

I'm interested.
                  What sort of prices are you asking?
                  Thanks
                  James

Comment

75p each, 48 for 30 quid, or 102 for 50 quid. Plus 4 quid shipping. My "each" price is about half the price you would pay getting them from stewmac even before shipping.

Comment

I'll have some!
                      Let me have a think for a bit while I decide how many.
                      They are alnico 5 presumably?

I sent you a personal message just before your last post and from that you can see my e-mail address.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroyew View Post
                        I was thinking about getting wire from these guys but still haven't gotten around to ordering anything. The guy on the phone seemed to think that they couldn't actually get the .063 enamelled anymore. He told me that the only .063 was their solderable enamel. Any idea if the difference in tone between the 2 will be that great?
                        Actually, they can get anything you want. they just can't justify getting it for one person. i use their solderable enamel. It's excellent. It will give good tone but not like the black coloured stuff used in PAFs.
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                          Actually, they can get anything you want. they just can't justify getting it for one person. i use their solderable enamel. It's excellent. It will give good tone but not like the black coloured stuff used in PAFs.
                          Thats what I thought. I don't suppose you know of anybody that is actually willing to sell plain enamel do you?

colliedoggy, I pm'd you back.

Comment

MWS

http://www.mwswire.com/awgsearch2.asp

They are in the States.
                            Ask for Jim Morrison........no kidding, he's alive and well.
                            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                              MWS

http://www.mwswire.com/awgsearch2.asp

They are in the States.
                              Ask for Jim Morrison........no kidding, he's alive and well.
                              (singing...) "Comeon baby, wind my pickup..."

OK.. that was lame... I know!
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X