Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solderon/Poly

What are some of the differences between these coatings . Solderon (red),
    PolyNylon(natural copper?gold) and polyurathane. The suppliers say there is no difference, and we all know thats BS. I would like to know if anyone is using these and what the likes and dislikes of each coatings are. :smaller coil shape with one, smoother pull (slippery), thicker coatings etc.....These guys are the wire distubutions seem to think Im totally Nuts..........

Well, taken from the standpoint that if you were machine winding inductors, or solenoids, or some other industrial use of magnet wire... yeah, there is no difference at all.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well, the wire companys no nothing about pickups.......Thats a fact. Poly is different color than say solderon, and sounds quite different too. Of the 2, I'd go spn....

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
        Well, the wire companys no nothing about pickups.......Thats a fact. Poly is different color than say solderon, and sounds quite different too. Of the 2, I'd go spn....
        Well the color is added... it's all clear coatings. Does red lacquer on a guitar sound different than black?

The main difference when it comes to insulators is when you are running the coil in a high frequency applications... you know, like 1GHz. Circuits do funny things at those frequencies, and dielectric properties get more important.

What ever capacitance effects you might get at the pickup coil is swamped by the potentiometers and the cable.

I think the various coatings might vary in thickness more than anything. I think Joe Gwinn had a good point when he said the winding quality of the various coatings probably have more to do with the final pickup tone than the electrical characteristics of the insulator.

Someone needs to do a controlled test, preferably with a programable winding machine, so all the winds are the same. Then wind a few different coils with different wire, use the same magnets, and see how they differ in tone.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Well the color is added... it's all clear coatings. Does red lacquer on a guitar sound different than black?

The main difference when it comes to insulators is when you are running the coil in a high frequency applications... you know, like 1GHz. Circuits do funny things at those frequencies, and dielectric properties get more important.

What ever capacitance effects you might get at the pickup coil is swamped by the potentiometers and the cable.

I think the various coatings might vary in thickness more than anything. I think Joe Gwinn had a good point when he said the winding quality of the various coatings probably have more to do with the final pickup tone than the electrical characteristics of the insulator.

Someone needs to do a controlled test, preferably with a programable winding machine, so all the winds are the same. Then wind a few different coils with different wire, use the same magnets, and see how they differ in tone.
          That sounds like a job for Super Wolfe........Hes got the setup to do it. I have a great repeatable system too, but he has an outstanding machine winding setup.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
            That sounds like a job for Super Wolfe........Hes got the setup to do it. I have a great repeatable system too, but he has an outstanding machine winding setup.
            My thoughts exactly!

Comment

I doubt if he has the time though. Plus he would need lots of measuring equipment to get the technical specs too...like the Extech meter, a scope and signal generator to do the resonant frequency testing, etc.

Comment

Not so super wolfe

Comment

Working...
                X