No announcement yet.

Mustang pickups same as Strat pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are not similar. They are the very same pickup. No difference and that's why a lot of Music masters and Duo Sonics have been robbed of their pickups.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Here at last!

Hi all,
      As promised, here are the specs of my "gutted out" '69 Mustang's pickups.
      FWIW (I'm far less knowledgeable) I agree with Spence that these are exactly the very same pickups that can be found in many Strats of the same period.

Neck Pickup :

Wire : AWG#42 PE

Wire color - reddish brown ( or brownish red if you like it better )

Inductance - 2,26 H
      DC resistance - 5,62 KOhm
      Equivalent winding capacitance - approx. 104 pF
      Resonant peak frequency (no load) - 10.38 Khz

Windings: 7600 (educated guess)

Winding direction : CCW

Magnet(s) material : AlNiCo V

Magnets polarity : North up

magnet(s) diameter - 4.8 mm (0.190")

Magnet(s) height - 15.8 mm (0.622")

Base length - 84mm (3.307")

Base width - 22.9 mm (0.901")

Upper flange length - 66.8mm (2.629")

Upper flange width - 15.4 mm (0.606")

Bridge pickup :

Wire : AWG#42 PE

Wire color - reddish brown ( or brownish red if you like it better )
      Inductance - 2,16 H
      DC resistance - 5,70 KOhm
      Equivalent winding capacitance - approx. 108 pF
      Resonant peak frequency (no load) - 10.42 Khz

Windings: 7650 (educated guess)

Winding direction : CW

Magnet(s) material : AlNiCo V

Magnets polarity : South up

magnet(s) diameter - 4.8 mm (0.190")

Magnet(s) height - 15.8 mm (0.622")

Base length - 84mm (3.307")

Base width - 22.9 mm (0.901")

Upper flange length - 66.8mm (2.629")

Upper flange width - 15.4 mm (0.606")

Hope this helps
      Best regards
      Bob

Note-I've tried to upload some pics I took, but with no luck, apparently the "attachments management" doesn't work anymore. I'll try to post them later to complement the above specs.
      Last edited by Robert M. Martinelli; 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM.
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert M. Martinelli View Post
        Note-I've tried to upload some pics I took, but with no luck, apparently the "attachments management" doesn't work anymore. I'll try to post them later to complement the above specs.
        It does work, but it's a less intuitive way to do it. It took me a few minutes to figure it out.

Follow what I wrote here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19662/#post167303
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David,
          I seemed to have a different problem, though....When I selected the file(s) they didn't add to the "previously uploaded files" pane, and I got an exclamation mark instead....

I'll try again today hoping to be luckier....I also found a nice shot of the whole guitar I took time ago, I'll try to post it as well.

Cheers

Bob

Edit : Just tried to upload the files and got the same error, I guess I'll have to notify Tboy about it....

Comment

Hi all,
            seems like the "attachments" menu is working fine now, many thanks to tboy for fixing the problem!

Hope you'll find the pics useful, I'm not that good as a photographer, but I hope they make for a good complement to the specs I previously posted.

Hope this helps
            Best regards
            Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice looking Mustang. Are those the original knobs? Mine has Jazz Bass style knobs. My MOP pickguard has warped to the point where I had to remove it from the guitar. Now i have to find a good replacement. I got one from WD years ago and had to send it back... it was very poorly done. None of the holes lined up and the switch holes were hand cut with a Dremel! Maybe a new Fender pickguard will fit.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks David,
                AFAIK the guitar is fully original, I bought it some 20 years ago from the original owner, the father of a good friend of mine, who bought it new in 1970.

The pickguard has shrunk very little on my Mustang, the mounting screws' holes are now slightly misaligned, nothing serious though....

Interestingly, the pickups bear a 1969 date code, while the pots bear a 1966 date code, which seems to suggest that Fender was keeping a truly HUGE quantity of pots in stock at the time.

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Here's a mustang pickup that I believe to be a 66. North up, 5.74k and 2.33h

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	818670

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	818671
                  www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Did anyone check the magnet spacing on these Mustang pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
                      Did anyone check the magnet spacing on these Mustang pickups?
                      Same as the Strat pickups I have here.

Comment

Thanks, David!

I have here a pickup that looks fiendishly like a mid-60's Strat pickup (although the numbers on the grey lower flatwork are kindof hard to read.) All mags same length, wire looks like you would expect, but the Alnico rods are spaced closer together (I'll measure them when I get reunited with my calipers tomorrow.)

Really makes a nice neck pickup for one of my Strats with tight spacing at the bridge...
                        Last edited by fieldwrangler; 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

A friend of mine has a Music Master pickup, the one with two top pieces on the bobbin. I repaired it a few weeks ago, a break in the outer windings, easy fix. It read 5.97 after the repair and I only stripped it of about 45 wraps before I found the break. I did try it in a strat and sounds like a strat

Comment

This quite an old thread but for you fella's that are intersted I own a 1966 Fender Mustang that I will get around to at some point. I don't gig with it often at all as I'm a Strat/Tele type of guy but next time I have a break in winding and gigs I'll change the strings and pull off the pick guard and take a peek. I rewired her about 4 years ago and installed new Fender slide switches but all other parts are original including the pickups. This was before I was ever into winding so it will be intersting to take another look. I'll take some pics at that point and take ohmage readings on the pups. The guitar had been stripped of it's original paint and left natural with a polyurethane finish. I paid an old co-worker 70.00 bucks for it with the original case.....he was gonna sell it at a yard sale and I got to him first :-).

Keith

Comment

Keith -

If possible, do measure the mag spacing carefully (I suppose the easiest way would be E to E right-edge-to-right-edge.)

The pickup I described above is in fact turning out to be my absolute favorite of anything I have for the Strat neck application. It's really holding up in context.

On a related note, last night I played a room where I gig once or twice per month (House of Blues in Chicago) and was reminded of what a lucky thing it can be to be able to bring The Prototypes out to play in a consistent environment.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Absolutely Bob, it is quite a nice to able to try your pups in a live environment and see how they perform under different conditions clean/dirty etc. and how they sound in the "mix". Getting ready to leave to rehearsal and I just checked the pups on the Mustang with my polarity tester while grabbing my other guitars. The Neck pup is Top South and the Bridge is Top North polarity.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X