WTH??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I've wound a bunch of pickups for myself. And believe me, if you've wound them completely by hand, it doesn't take too many pickups for a person to get a little testy and disconnected from reality!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
      ...I've wound a bunch of pickups for myself. And believe me, if you've wound them completely by hand, it doesn't take too many pickups for a person to get a little testy and disconnected from reality!
      Why on Gods green earth would you possibly be winding "a bunch...completely by hand"? didn't anything occur to you during the first few thousand turns on the first pickup?
      (hint: build a winder)
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Well, not completely by hand. I used a hand drill, with the coil secured to the chuck, and the drill handle clamped in a vice, and get/got about 3.75 coil rotations per crank of the handle. It doesn't take that long to wind a coil (about 30min each...if that), and for a couple of coils a year (the "bunch" is from 30 years of doing it), it doesn't pay to make/buy a winder and set up bench space for it.

It's the mental anguish of 30 minutes of praying and hoping you don't hit a snag and tear the wire, not the physical labour of the winding itself.

Comment

From that listing I get the impression his pickups are probably no different to those from the $5 profit crowd... but he charges the same price as a SD pickup.

Comment

It'd be *great*!

Zachary would start bloviating in his usual not-so-borderline-personality-disorder way, we'd laugh at him and tell him to go away, the Moderator would play Whack-A-Mole and ban the Zach's aliases as they pop up, we'd declare Zach a nuisance, and complain en masse to his ISP and get him banned so he'd have to migrate his web site.

That kind of fun is priceless, but then, as a child, I used to throw rocks at hornet nests.
            Hey Salvarsan, I think you are sicker than this crazy guy.
            Use your time winding pickups or whatever, instead of bashing the village idiot.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Hey Salvarsan, I think you are sicker than this crazy guy.
              Use your time winding pickups or whatever, instead of bashing the village idiot.
              Gosh, that's not too-oo judgmental.

I suspect that my sense of humor is sometimes too subtle.

-drh
              "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Comment

Sorry, I think you didn't get it, I was being humorous too. I'm also subtle.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                    I got there because of comments on other threads here; those weren't exactly laudatory. I won't quote them directly here. He's either a mystery poster or a joke.
                    Salvarsan ...man of mystery! I can just hear the saxiphone playing in the dark alley.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Sorry, I think you didn't get it, I was being humorous too. I'm also subtle.
                      Ah. I see now.

You *do* understand that Bryan Gunsher is quite serious in his "About Us" page on his pickup web site. When he says "centuries", keep in mind that his name has been Bryan Gunsher only in this century and the previous one.

His actual age is a poorly-kept secret amongst us, so don't go blabbing it around as we consider him akin to a national treasure and wouldn't want him rousted out by nosy people in search of a magical elixir of youth.

-drh
                      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

well, if he hasn't made a sale in 2 months maybe he should consider getting a proper website! :-P

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                          Salvarsan ...man of mystery! I can just hear the saxiphone playing in the dark alley.
                          Salvarsan: it's something to 'clap' about.

Salvarsan (Arsphenamine, Kharsivan, )

RE: saxophone playing in alley
                          Need violins (plural), too, for the distinct American quality.
                          It's not American without ... (aargh! ... must resist loathsome pun...oh no...)
                          sax and violins.

-drh

Comment

Well, if you ever *needed* Salvarsan, you must be close to "a century" by now.
                            Thanks God, when I made the same kind of mistake , Penicillin had already been invented.
                            Problem is, Hot Ladies *do* look clean, or at least we always want to believe that.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X