Eyelets? Before or after windng?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelets? Before or after windng?

I am having a problem with the wire "catching" on the eyelets. I have tried to sand them down and still am getting them snagged. Does anyone put them in after they wind their pickup?

I don't have a guide. Its all by hand. Does the guide help with this?

Time for an Eyelet staker.

StewMac

Comment

i use to use a punch or a 4" nail with the nail -upside down using the head to set the eyes flush with the bobbin .give it a good whack with a hammer ....
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

If your eyelets are too long you will have problems like this. Make sure your eyelets only stick through the flat work about 1/16" and I use a fat tipped punch and my eylets do not stick out at all.
        Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

I do put the eyelets on the bobbin after winding to avoid this kind of thing (with the Stewmac setting tool BTW)
          Since I use non conductive varnish on my bobbins, I prefer to put the eyelets after the varnishing stage anyway to avoid the solder messing with the varnish.
          Should I need to wind a bobbin with eyelets on, I put a small piece of thin adhesive tape on the eyelets during winding process, so that the wire wont "catch" on the eyelets.

Yves
          www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

I put them on first. make sure you get them flat with the setting tool. I use a small hammer and a vice as an anvil.

If you are using a winder of some kind, set your stop on that side a little bit in so the wire wont rub on the bobbin flange. Then it will miss the eyelet.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Yves View Post
              Should I need to wind a bobbin with eyelets on, I put a small piece of thin adhesive tape on the eyelets during winding process, so that the wire wont "catch" on the eyelets.

Yves
              I'm with Yves, I use a little low-residue tape to act as a ramp to prevent the wire from hanging up on the eyelet.

Comment

I too have the stew mac setting tool, but sometimes the eyelets are too small for the bobbins. Has anyone tried to glue them in? I might try the tape "ramp".

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                  I too have the stew mac setting tool, but sometimes the eyelets are too small for the bobbins. Has anyone tried to glue them in? I might try the tape "ramp".
                  Are you making your bobbins, or buying them somewhere?
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Just don't glue anything with CA that you'll be heating with a soldering iron, those fumes are pretty nasty.

Comment

The Stew Mac eyelet setter is excellent. In the early days at Fender they would insert the eyelet and file them flush on the top of the bottom flatwork. This works well too.
                      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

i have put that stewmac flatwork together with the eye on the bottom of the bobbin seem to work better .easier to solder .i find mojo flatwork better
                        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I use a center punch, then a flat tipped screw driver. After that a small metal file to take off the roughness. But personaly I think a wire limiter is the best way to go. You can make one, I bought 2 collar locks and a metal dowel from Ace hardware.

Comment

I'm using the stew mac stuff also some from guitar parts USA.

Comment

Working...
                            X