LCR METER what do i need ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCR METER what do i need ?

I'm not sure what to look for .this is a meter someone is selling here locally I'm not sure if it is an lcr meter .
    YFE YF-150 Capacitance Meter - Miscellaneous - Paradise - NL Classifieds Buy & Sell Ads
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

I don't have an LCR meter, but everyone here says the only one to use for pickups is the Extech 380193.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      I'm not sure what to look for .this is a meter someone is selling here locally I'm not sure if it is an lcr meter .
      YFE YF-150 Capacitance Meter - Miscellaneous - Paradise - NL Classifieds Buy & Sell Ads
      It is not a LCR meter. It is exactly what it claims to be, a capacitance meter, and so cannot measure the inductance of a pickup.

As David mentions, the standard choice is the Extech 380193, which may be had for somewhat less than $200.

Comment

thanks guys .... cool
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I don't have an LCR meter, but everyone here says the only one to use for pickups is the Extech 380193.

Actually, everyone here does not say that the Extech will do the job either. Nearly everyone agrees that eddy currents (induced in metal parts of the pickup) are a significant loss in some pickups as well as the series resisstance. Since the eddy currents are like a resistor across the pickup, there are two kinds of loss, series and parallel. The Extech measures inductance well when one kind of loss dominates by measuring the complex impedance. It does this at two frequencies. But when both kinds of loss are present, it is in general necessary to measure the complex impedance at at least two frequencies to get a single inductance value. The Extech does not do this.

It is contradiction to claim that eddy currents matter and that it is possible to measure inductance of a pickup from a measurement of a single value of complex impedance.

Comment

Working...
          X