No announcement yet.

A question for the experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you make a polarity tester with one of those little neo magnets you will paint one side of the magnet so if you paint the north side red & you test a north up single coil the south pole of the neo will be attracted to the north side of your pickup showing the red side of your magnet - determining a north up pickup a compass is doing the same
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

screw side on the bridge pickup is south ,slug is north

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
        screw side on the bridge pickup is south ,slug is north
        Ok, I take tha,t as Red Points to slug north.
        The reason I asked for color I get different answers about the north and south ends of a compass.
        Is the red end of compass pointing to north, or is the red end of compass north.
        I have 2 different references on the net.
        I just want to conform and do Like the rest of folks.
        Thanks for the help!
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

points north

Comment

The red end of a compass needle points to magnetic south, not north. The red end is north. The magnetic pole at the North Pole of the Earth is magnetic South, not North! So the red end of the needle will point to the south polarity of the pickup.

The white paint on ceramics is the north pole. Not just cheap ceramics, all ceramics.

Earth's magnetic field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earth's magnetic field (and the surface magnetic field) is approximately a magnetic dipole, with the magnetic field S pole near the Earth's geographic north pole (see Magnetic North Pole) and the other magnetic field N pole near the Earth's geographic south pole (see Magnetic South Pole).
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

confusing thats for sure ,as long as you saying the red arrow on a compass points north is ok

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                confusing thats for sure ,as long as you saying the red arrow on a compass points north is ok
                Yes, Geographical North on the Earth, not Magnetic North on a pickup!

Someone just got it mixed up once and we have been calling it North ever since.

I use one of these. They would be simple enough to make.

STEWMAC.COM : Magnet Polarity Tester
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I Think I figured out my dilema! My Camping compass no longer pointed north, or my house got turned around.
                  I had inadvertently reprogrammed my compass. I had somehow reversed the polarity.
                  So I got a strong ceramic magnet and changed the polarity back so my house is now pointing the right direction again.
                  Has anyone else done that? Or am I just lucky. lol
                  You would think, a keep you from getting lost compass would be made of a permanant magnet.
                  This acted like it was Alnico composistion!
                  Later,
                  Terry
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Don't bother with a needle compass. Just get a polarity tester like Stewmac sells. You can't miss.

Comment

Working...
                    X