Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q:CuNiFe magnet dimensions

Hi all.

I allready posted in another thread but I'd like to sort this out if possible.
    Recently I got the hold of a certain amount of CuNiFe as shown in the picture

Slipper is for size reference(size 12 BTW )
    I read here that CuNiFe has substantially lower magnetic properties than other magnets used for pickup making.
    My question is;if it is weaker magnet should i use standard dimension or should I enlarge the magnets compared to usual dimensions for rods and bars?

I'd like to know before I get to cutting and slicing

Thanks in advance.

I just saw this post. I'll have some info at home (at my day job right now...). IIRC they are 5.5mm in diameter and with a .9mm thread pitch, but I have notes that I need to dig through. If I forget to chip in with more info, just PM me and remind me.

Comment

OK thanks a lot.

Comment

OK, this is measurements taken from an original Fender WRHB:
        Length 16 mm
        Diameter 5 mm
        Thread pitch 0.9 mm

Comment

Thanks again.
          BTw,any thoughts about dimensioning cunife on a regular pickups?
          Should the bars for the HBs and rods for the singles be standard size or should I cut them somewhat larger due to weaker magnetic properties?

Comment

I have seen measurements (on the internet, no first hand measurements or data so beware...) and CuNiFe is in the range of Alnico 2, so I don't know if you would gain that much in trying to make bars or standard rods fron it. The reason Fender (Seth Lover) used CuNiFe is because it is easy to thread.

Comment

Does CuNiFe need to be hardened before becoming a decent permanent magnet? If so, that ring magnet may need to be annealed before it can be machined, and the resulting components would need to be hardened before being magnetised.

Comment

It is not a ring magnet it just looks that way.
                Actually it is a part of what used to be a pipe wall on a ship(dont know english word for it).My friend was working on it when they needed smaller diameter.
                Instead of grindingg in to the diameter they used lathe to cut it off.That's how i ended with that piece.

Comment

or you could make one REALLY big pickup!

Comment

My question is about how one is supposed to process CuNiFe. Permanent magnet materials are typically very hard physically, too hard to thread execpt by grinding. And CuNiFe is a kind of steel, so I suspect that one must harden (heat to red heat, quench in water) CiNiFe after machining to develop the desired permanent-magnet properties. A little research at the steel maker's website ought to clear the issue up.

As for the ring, the company changed course and may have stopped work before hardening it, so the fact that it is not currently hard does not settle the question.

Comment

There is no additional thermal processing on the piece in the factory ,they use it as it is ,mill it drill it ,then hard-solder a bunch of pipes on it ,and finally install it on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by mcomio View Post
                        There is no additional thermal processing on the piece in the factory ,they use it as it is ,mill it drill it ,then hard-solder a bunch of pipes on it ,and finally install it on the ship.
                        Right, but they are not using it as a magnet. You may nee to harden it to make a magnet out of it.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hmm,they do have a furnice in the factory,but then again maybe it's too much trouble to go through.
                          I'll be better off using it as an anchor for my boat :-)

It won't rust in the sea that's for sure hehe

Comment

Working...
                          X