No announcement yet.

Humbucker Sized P-90 Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw - I took an "at temperature" reading of the same coil above after it settled in. The DCR dropped a bit.

No word on the sound yet. I have been busy with client builds, but hope to return to this project promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
      I'm confused. If you make your living on this design you came up with, why did you let the parts go to one of the biggest pickup parts suppliers in the US as a end-user retail product? The covers look just like a cream EMG cover, to me.

Those closed humbucker covers are copies of EMG parts. EMG originated those covers, and they actually have in house injection molding.

Several Asian companies make copies. I had been getting them from GuitarJones/WSC like 5 years ago. The ones Mojo sells are from another company. I was suggesting parts for Mojo to carry when David was the parts guy. So when I couldn't get them from GuitarJones anymore I asked Mojo to get them. I pointed him to the companies in Korea that make them, and gave him part numbers and contact info. I still have all the emails from that. I did the same thing with Tom. And a lot of that info came from Belwar and was discussed here.

Heres one of mine from a few years back made with a WSC cover (with an open cover humbucker)

So the only original thing in Norcal's idea is using the closed covers and drilling them out. And even then, EMG does the same thing for some of their HZ pickups, only they don't make P-90s in humbucker covers.

Norcal, I honestly can't see what you can possibly get patented on that. You didn't invent the P-90, or those covers. Drilling for pole piece holes is nothing new. If you really have a patent pending it would be easy to look up. What I'm seeing is that you took off the shelf parts and modified them slightly to make a common pickup design invented by someone else (Gibson). So what part of that is original?

But you have a cool look with that cover. The way the market works is you have to get them out there first, and expect that someone will eventually copy you. Look at the Joe Barden pickups. He did those Strat size rails first. Then Duncan and DiMarzio make their versions. Even if he had a patent, it would be expired by now, like with the Lawrence L-500. Duncan makes a copy of those too. And even with a patent, that doesn't always keep people from doing something similar. Look at the Kinman stacked design, which was then copied by DiMarzio and Duncan with slight changes.

EMG on the other hand did not patent their designs. That also keeps people from knowing what's in their pickups, since patents have to explain the whole thing. It wasn't until people chopped one apart that anyone had a clue what they were doing in there.

I think at best you might be able to get a design patent, but still, you are using a cover designed by someone else. That's just my 2 cents on the matter.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 10-24-2012, 05:15 PM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by rewind View Post
        i'm confused. If you make your living on this design you came up with, why did you let the parts go to one of the biggest pickup parts suppliers in the us as a end-user retail product? The covers look just like a cream emg cover, to me.
        excellent point!!

Comment

What did you try to patent? A plastic cover for a humbucker size single coil? Really? I use to use the allparts black plastic bucker covers and drill them out for centerline screws as long as 15 years ago.
          How about Semi? Google Image Result for http://hem.bredband.net/fjekla/pics/pw-mosrite-2.jpg

i hope there is something more to the patent but if not good luck with it.

I might mention I dont use a humbucker bobbin inside either-

Comment

I guess the holes are patent pending .
            The few covers that I wrecked getting the holes aligned ,I made these is out of them using my router

I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes with these ..black with pearl or tortoise shell looks ok
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Those Carvin pickups in the Mosrites were also made pretty much the same as a P-90!
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                I just take an existing P90 bobbin and cut the ends.
                Same here, then cover it with a no-hole HB cover I self-punch, the taped up coil gets awfully close to the cover but it works fine.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                  The few covers that I wrecked getting the holes aligned ,I made these is out of them using my router

I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes with these ..black with pearl or tortoise shell looks ok
                  Copper - You could have used them with the uneven holes and called them "time aligned" or "intonation corrected" and been a millionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
                    ...thanks for coping my design...
                    Too funny
                    (I can only assume you were joking)
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post

Oh yeah, GFS will be "talking to their lawyers" right away too. (LOL!)
                      Last edited by RedHouse; 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM.
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

how many of us thought we had an original idea only to find out later someone else thought it it at the same time or earlier?
                        I remember this guy was running around the net a few years back saying he was going to patent threaded magnets and or the application of them in guitar pickups hahaha
                        Sad thing is you can patent and copyrite lots of things that shouldnt go through but the patent and copyrite people dont have a clue whats going on most of the time so they go ahead and grant them.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                          how many of us thought we had an original idea only to find out later someone else thought it it at the same time or earlier?
                          I remember this guy was running around the net a few years back saying he was going to patent threaded magnets and or the application of them in guitar pickups hahaha
                          Sad thing is you can patent and copyrite lots of things that shouldnt go through but the patent and copyrite people dont have a clue whats going on most of the time so they go ahead and grant them.
                          I know I should probably start a new thread but.......

Speaking of threaded magnets, why are they just not available anymore? I wanna make my own clone of a Wide Range humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
                            I know I should probably start a new thread but.......

Speaking of threaded magnets, why are they just not available anymore? I wanna make my own clone of a Wide Range humbucker.
                            Tom at Mojo is working on it ,Wide Range parts coming in the future
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                              I think he was posting that stuff here. I can see if you have a new way to make threaded magnets. You can get that process patented. But to patent a feature that was on an old pickup that someone else invented? Lets all patent wheels. I've seen those before, and they aren't patented!

Plus his magnets only looked threaded from what I recall. It was purely cosmetic.

Sensmag had threaded magnets for a while, and now I don't see them listed ay more.

Comment

Working...
                              X