Listening tests concerning the combining of pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    Yes, from the voice coil in the speaker.

You can hold any speaker up to a pickup and hear what's playing though the speaker, though the pickup. We do it with ear buds connected to iPods at rehearsal sometimes when someone wants everyone else to hear a part and doesn't want to take the time to plug the iPod into the PA system.
    So, replace the baby monitor with a drive coil and make the obvious test.

Comment

David,
      I think the baby monitor idea was brilliant! The actual pictures made me crack up!
      Legit bro!
      Cru

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
        So, replace the baby monitor with a drive coil and make the obvious test.
        Well it is a drive coil of sorts (a speaker voice coil), and a white noise generator too.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Well it is a drive coil of sorts (a speaker voice coil), and a white noise generator too.
          I thought babies babbled -- that's 1/f noise (actually called pink noise), not white noise. So, your results are colored. Sorry -- engineers' joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
            I thought babies babbled -- that's 1/f noise (actually called pink noise), not white noise. So, your results are colored. Sorry -- engineers' joke.
            I wasn't sure if that would be pink or white noise, so I went with white, since more people are familiar with that term.

Now if I heard a babbling baby coming from it, I would be worried! That's because ours is no longer a baby, and the transmitter wasn't on. But then I have gotten neighbor's cordless phones on the thing.

But it seemed like a ready made way to inject noise into the pickup.

When I get a change I'll try more mismatched sets with no buffer.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X