All this talk of research......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk of research......

Several years ago I got my hands on a nice collection of vintage Strats. Why, because they were being lent to a group of us for an article in a UK Guitar magazine.
    We pulled them all to bits and took every worthwhile measurement.

Naturally, I did all the pickup measurements/observations.

The line up included a modern custom shop Strat for comparison.
    The vintage Strats were a 1957, a 1959, two 62's and a '63.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD. Guitars 012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	769.6 KB
ID:	862718Click image for larger version

Name:	DD. Guitars 014.jpg
Size:	780.2 KB
ID:	862719Click image for larger version

Name:	DD. Guitars 015.jpg
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	862720Click image for larger version

Name:	DD. Guitars 021.jpg
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	862721

I have posted the results here before. One of these guitars sounded almost factory fresh but the best sounding one of all? Have a guess.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

im gonna say the the 62 but wasn't 57 the magic year ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      wasn't 57 the magic year ?
      It's MY magic year.

That's a nice bunch of guitars.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

There are two 62's there.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Knowing my luck he is going to say the modern custom shop.

I played a 57 a few years ago and still can't get it out of my head... wish I had the bucks for it.
          aka R.A.D --
          Guitar Logistics

Comment

a 62 one of those red ones was the bomb
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
              Several years ago I got my hands on a nice collection of vintage Strats. Why, because they were being lent to a group of us for an article in a UK Guitar magazine.
              We pulled them all to bits and took every worthwhile measurement.

Naturally, I did all the pickup measurements/observations.

The line up included a modern custom shop Strat for comparison.
              The vintage Strats were a 1957, a 1959, two 62's and a '63.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10581[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10582[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10583[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10584[/ATTACH]

I have posted the results here before. One of these guitars sounded almost factory fresh but the best sounding one of all? Have a guess.
              I'd say the red from the left in picture n. 4.

Can you find the old thread, Spence?
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Of the two Fiesta red guitars, the left hand one is a '63. The right hand one is a '62 as is the sonic blue one. The sunburst is a 1957 and the other is a '59.
                The custom shop reissue (not pictured) was left in the bin on the way out.
                The '57 is ash with a one piece V profile maple neck. The '59 is swamp ash with a slab board. The '62's and the '63 are all alder but the '63 has a veneer board.
                sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I have always wondered what the fascination with old strats is, as they all sound clanky. I guess they do not work for my ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Musiclogic View Post
                    I have always wondered what the fascination with old strats is, as they all sound clanky. I guess they do not work for my ear.
                    The olds ones I have heard are real smooth sounding. I have a buddy with a '64 he had since it was new. It's much warmer and smoother than his new Strat. I heard another that was kind of dark sounding. I didn't like that too much.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      The olds ones I have heard are real smooth sounding. I have a buddy with a '64 he had since it was new. It's much warmer and smoother than his new Strat. I heard another that was kind of dark sounding. I didn't like that too much.
                      Even after replacing the pickups?
                      Or was everything still stock on all of them?
                      Terry
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

???

Was it the 59 with the swamp ash body?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          Even after replacing the pickups?
                          Or was everything still stock on all of them?
                          Terry
                          Everything was stock. Why would you replace the pickups on a '64 Strat? That guitar is worth a lot of money!

Comment

Originally posted by pete n View Post
                            Was it the 59 with the swamp ash body?
                            No one used the name swamp ash in '59. There really is no such thing as swamp ash.

Fender used white ash (Fraxinus americana L.) on natural finishes, and alder on painted finishes.

Some southern ash was lighter in weight, and that's called swamp ash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus

The only time the name swamp ash is used is with guitars.

Comment

I played in a band with a guy who brought his '57 Strat to rehearsals and I got to play it many times. It had a beautiful sparkle to it (the sound that is). I owned two late 60's strats which were great but in a different way. I'll take a stab at it and say the '63. I'm not sure what defines "best sounding" though?

Comment

Working...
                              X