No announcement yet.

double Cream 59 paf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pickup was first sent to Seymour,(by the customer) and the measurements were as stated. I just verified the coil readings. I would'nt want to do anything else......He plans on selling it. The magnet was very strong still, and A2 and of longer length. I have'nt seen any Dc postings since this thread. That said, is'nt the end piece.

Comment

25,000 G on the magnets?!?! I don't think so. It'd be pulling the bolts out of my neck....
      "Are you boys the police?"

"No ma'am....we're musicians."

Comment

25k.....is what seymour wrote on the paper? My guess is he is using a different method.to measure I'm sure its not 25,000 G, you know this! I'm not sure what methods he is using. Thats what the sheet said. 25k. LOL 25,000 gause....shit

Comment

Seymour uses one of the little R B ANNIS gauges to measure , they are marked 50-25-0-25-50 , and lines in between for other numbers . I would assume this is where the "25" comes from.

Mick

Comment

Im not familiar with that, so does that mean its half charged? The magnet was strong.....A2. More mysterys for the puzzle hun.

Comment

Not sure? depends what fully charged is I suppose...I do know that although seymour uses A2 ( supposidly ) in the antiquities , despite having similar ( aright the same ) readings as my mags according to my AB Annis , his were heaps stronger in a pull test . degaussed A5 maybe?

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by mick View Post
                Not sure? depends what fully charged is I suppose...I do know that although seymour uses A2 ( supposidly ) in the antiquities , despite having similar ( aright the same ) readings as my mags according to my AB Annis , his were heaps stronger in a pull test . degaussed A5 maybe?

Mick
                HUm.....well he is seymour duncan

Comment

Duncan is old school.....

He uses that spring meter the Annis thingy, it doesn't actually measure gauss, I don't know what it measures but its not gauss. 50 gauss would fall off your refrigerator door :-) A2s fully charged can be like 650 gauss roughly. Just because he's Seymour doesnt mean he's kept up with modern technology, the fact he still uses one of those spring meters is a bad sign :-) You sure as shit can't tell alnico by using one of those things. The only sure fire way is to have the metal analyzed. Even with the Extech meter and a coil you can't tell the difference between alnico 3 and alnico 2, they give readings that are just too close to be a dead on indicator. In that cofee table book the Black Guard tele they used one of those spring meters to determine what alnico the early Broadcaster/Nocaster pickups were which is real annoying because the data gathered is totally useless. I contacted the author and told him I have a Nocaster bridge pickup sitting here that damn sure is alnico 5 because it reads around 1000 gauss, and alnico 3 just can't reach that level. I even made a copy of it in alncio 3 and no way it would reach that high. He told me no its alnico 3, I think I finally convinced him that he was wrong and was exposed to bad methodology. Some of those pickups WERE alnico 3 but some of them definitely were not. Modern tools do have their value, I'm a big believer in that as I've learned alot from the meters and tools I have that old school thinking just didn't have a clue about.......
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I was looking at the R. B. Annis magnetometer one day. They do read gauss, but the scale on the meter is relative... you can get them in 8 different ranges from a half gauss to 100 gauss scale.

So I guess if you had a 100 gauss meter, +50, or -50 would be 100 gauss in either polarity.

Seems like a confusing device! And how do you use a 100 gauss meter on magnets more than 100 gauss?

They do come calibrated and certified, and they claim that they are so sensitive that they will read the magnetic field of the Earth.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Notice I did'nt capitolize his name? (s.d). As stated in the first post, Im not a vintage kinda guy, Possum knows I play with Fire. I will say, The Ohm readings fluctuate sooo much between pafs. That to me is really odd in itsself, as a simple task, it surely was overlooked and disregarded too often.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                        As stated in the first post, Im not a vintage kinda guy, Possum knows I play with Fire. I will say, The Ohm readings fluctuate sooo much between pafs. That to me is really odd in itsself, as a simple task, it surely was overlooked and disregarded too often.
                        That's a good point, and when I see people making "PAF" pickups that are supposed to sound "authentic" I have to ask what pickup is it gauged off of?

And what exactly does a PAF sounds like? And does it even have a sound any different from a T-top or Shaw? I had a set of early patent decal humbuckers, and I can't say they sounded any different from the DiMarzio PAF's the guy replaced them with. Actually the DiMarzios sounded better.

I think it's all folklore! The PAF has become some mystical beast... The best anyone can do is make an early Gibson styled pickup... it will sound about as good as they did. If it can be done more consistently, that's even better!

I'm not a vintage guy either. I'm always amused that in the 70's people were swapping out their Fender bass pickups for DiMarzios left and right, because the replacement pickups sounded better. Now people think the Fender pickups are "vintage". If I never see another Jazz Bass and SVT again it wont be soon enough!
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          I think it's all folklore! The PAF has become some mystical beast...
                          Nah...you just forgot to pot the pickup in mojo.
                          "Are you boys the police?"

"No ma'am....we're musicians."

Comment

Keep in mind that Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons and Eddie Van Halen could've made any pickup sound good. It's just by happenstance that they all played PAFs...which I'm sure didn't hurt the lore at all.

Stan
                            -Stan
                            ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
                            Stan Hinesley Pickups
                            FaceBook

Comment

Mojo....Good one! I think this thread is Mojo........Whatever means, Its all good. The final test is the Ears! Thats bottom line. Folklore if you will!!

Comment

goshmeters and PAFs

EVERY magnet is over 100 gauss!!!! Those Annis things are useless , totally and completely useless. Amen. If I remember right they use a spacer arm so that they only measure gauss far enough away to hit in those low readings, so you're not even actually directly measuring whats coming from the magnet.

PAF tone, to me I always identify what I based mine on, Duane Allman, Duane Duane, Jimmy, Clapton Bluesbreakers. All very similar, its so now I hear something on the radio and my ears wake me up if I hear that tone, its identifiable, I don't know anyone who has nailed it 100%. I've probably got it 90-95% in what I did and I'm not telling how :-) Its super important to identify every single component in those things, alloy, magnets, wire, every tiny thing, then you're on the right track. Alot of these ebay winders think all you do is mismatch the coils and you got a PAF, yeah sure....
                                http://www.SDpickups.com
                                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                                X