Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listening tests of high end capacitors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Many players have tried to duplicate it, usually without success, in part because Clapton's playing technique had a lot to do with the tone."

Blasphemy! Tone is all in the pickups, isn't it?

Comment

• I have a particular bias about this. And that bias is that when one is processing a wide-bandwidth multi-source signal, in which the perceved realism of the reproduced sound depends very much on all those harmonics being readily "assignable" to the appropriate fundamental/source, then the properties of caps, whether in the signal path or from the signal path to ground, may well matter a great deal. It is hard to imagine any cap would treat all audio frequencies equally, unless it were designed for a bandwidth so broad (at both extremes) that the audio spectrum formed a trivial fraction of it.

When it comes to guitars, there IS still some which-harmonic-goes-with-which-fundamental psychoacoustic sorting to engage in (part of what I imagine many describe as the "definition" in a sound), but not nearly as much as would be imposed by a mic'd acoustic ensemble or orchestra. And while some pickups can have pretty decent bandwidth, again, the bandwidth of a guitar pickup and guitar is pretty darn restricted by the strings, the cable, the speakers, and a host of other things. Finally, the purpose of most pickups is to be able to play loud. That volume results in additional harmonic content down the line (pedals, preamp, power stage, speakers, ears) that lend its own coloration that exceeds whatever the cap type might take away from that single source. That something is great sonic advice in the audiophile and sound-reinforcement field is separate from whether it has similar relevance in the musical instrument arena. I think forks are wonderful inventions, but they do not improve the experience of a glass of milk by any stretch. Certainly confirmed double-blind testing would be helpful, but even if one did that and observed a measurable difference under lab conditions, real-world conditions are so different that this would cease to be relevant.

In other words, I'm saying it is not a lie or a confabulation that cap type in a tone control could result in audible differences. However, under normal field conditions, the likelihood of such differences being audible, and more importantly being audible enough that it supercedes all other sources of coloration, is low enough that it ought not to concern us. If someone feels consoled and secure with such caps, fine, it's their right, just as I like my coffee mug to drink from at breakfast. Should others feel like they are making a disastrous mistake by NOT using those caps? Nah. Chacun à son rève.

But like I say, it's my prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
        Rick Gram's original pedal looked slightly more salacious.

thread boobjacking in progress... suspect armed with LEDs

edit:

was about caps wasn't it? I think the test would be more interesting if leaky caps and really microphonic ceramics were included.

Comment

• This capacitor study is beside the point.

Within the transduction chain extending from plucked string to loud sound,
          two factors predominate so much as to render all others insignificant.

They are:
          • noise
          • the loudspeaker

The greatest systemic noise source is the guitarist.

Deal with it. ...preferably with ear plugs and distance.

The loudspeaker choice changes the sound more than any other element
          and should rightfully be the first place to start improving things.

Ted Weber, we miss you sorely.
          "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

This capacitor study is beside the point.

Within the transduction chain extending from plucked string to loud sound,
            two factors predominate so much as to render all others insignificant.

They are:
            • noise
            • the loudspeaker

The greatest systemic noise source is the guitarist.

Deal with it. ...preferably with ear plugs and distance.

The loudspeaker choice changes the sound more than any other element
            and should rightfully be the first place to start improving things.

Funny you should say this.

Today I was lecturing a class and told them that I thought that the most important factors in tone are often the biggest, least portable and closest to the end of the chain. So, The Room is often the biggest thing for me; I feel like I could put a bad amp in a good room and people would wanna buy it. I could play a good amp out on the lawn and someone would wanna sell it. Next is the cabinet, followed by the speakers, followed by the power amp, followed by the preamp, etc.

But then there's the whole other end of the chain, with the strings held by the guitar, played by the player, interpreted by the peecups, etc.

Ain't never gonna be no simple answer to all of this...

Comment

Also.. did Ted pass or something??

Comment

• Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
                Also.. did Ted pass or something??
                Yes, one year ago yesterday.

Kokomo, IN (August 27, 2009) -- Ted Weber, founder and engineer of Weber Speakers, died on August 14 at age 58. Ted had been suffering from pulmonary sarcoidosis for some months prior to his death. Ted's responsiveness and involvement in the gear community will not be soon forgotten.

Weber founded the company with his son, T.A. Weber in 1995. Ted began building speakers for fun, eventually moving on to designing and distributing his vintage-flavored speakers from home. The company now employs ten people who hand-build speakers to Ted's specifications.

The tones he has had a part in creating will live on in the hands of the musicians who use his speakers, including Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Joe Walsh, Trey Anastasia, Metallica, Derek Trucks, Rascal Flatts, Brooks & Dunn and Taylor Swift.

T.A. says that Weber Speakers will continue with T.A. and the current employees.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
                  Ain't never gonna be no simple answer to all of this...
                  How about Zappa: "Shut up and play yer guitar"

Room acoustics is a huge thing that everyone ignores because it's easier to tweak a capacitor than move house.

Speakers tend to get ignored too, because if you admit that they have a huge effect on the tone, it's like admitting that your OCD capacitor tweaking is insignificant in comparison.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• More Capacitor Dilemma

Hi, I thought you may want to take a look at this:

Tone Capacitors for Stratocasters, Part 4 - Premier Guitar

Reversing a tone cap can make your guitar sound better?
                    Hari Ossa
                    http://www.hariossa.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hariossa View Post

That means I've got to paint them again and put the numbers on the other end. At this rate these buggers are gonna be too big to fit in the cavity.

Comment

Here's my favorite part...

In some guitars, the same cap makes a noticeable difference if you reverse it, and in other guitars not—heaven knows why!
                        Well there's a technical explanation!
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Here's my favorite part...

"In some guitars, the same cap makes a noticeable difference if you reverse it, and in other guitars not—heaven knows why! "
                          That means, it made a big difference in HIS guitar, and if you don't notice any, it's your problem

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Kreuzer View Post
                            That means, it made a big difference in HIS guitar, and if you don't notice any, it's your problem
                            Plus, what did he do. Solder in the cap. Play a while. Take the guitar apart and resolder the cap... etc. He didn't say he used a switch to test it. If it was a Strat, there is no easy way to get to the controls. Maybe it sounded better because his strings were now duller because of tuning and untuning, etc. He also didn't say it sounded better the first time, and if he had a 50/50 chance, one of the times would have to be better to start with!

And of course the cap ain't doing much with the tone pot on 10. Did the new cap make his Strat's bridge pickup sound better? It's all a lot of hooey.

It's like those audio cables that need a 2 moth break in period. How can you remember how your hi-fi system sounded before you used the new cables? Some days I hear better than other days, and I'm sure everyone is like that. It's your mood, and how much sleep you got, and stuff.

Comment

• How come this esoteric illuminations are so widely spread? there's so much imaginary stuff about sound in the web and a lot of people really believe in it... it's pretty sad.

Did anybody noticed that the guy that signs the article is the owner of singlecoil.com?
                              Hari Ossa
                              http://www.hariossa.com

Comment

How come this esoteric illuminations are so widely spread? there's so much imaginary stuff about sound in the web and a lot of people really believe in it... it's pretty sad.

Did anybody noticed that the guy that signs the article is the owner of singlecoil.com?
                                Yeah, I saw that. Some of the people who write for PG are rather amateurish. One guy was reviewing bass pickups and called his jack an "input jack." Not exactly the best credibility there. They also get into this whole thing about the gig they are playing at, and all this back story. Just review the product! The stuff that really cracks me up are the "reviews" in the music catalogs, like Musician's Friend. They like to use phrases like "weapon of choice", "arsenal", and of course they "slay" the audience. I guess it's pandering to teenage males.

There's a lot of crud on the internet. Just go to guitarnuts.com and read the stuff about shielding and ground loops. Its all wrong, but I see people citing that as their source all the time.

That's why I get annoyed when people who know better allow al this misinformation to propagate. When I get customers who buy into this stuff I try to set them straight. If we educate the consumers we will all be better off. Unless we are selling $50 vintage repro caps that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X