magnet gauss question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnet gauss question?

Do different alnico magnets (2,3,4,5) have a different maximum gauss levels when fully charged? What are those levels?

Much thanks.
    Last edited by markeymark; 02-21-2007, 12:59 AM.

Just magnetized a alnico 5 which came out at 800-820 and a alnico 2 that came out around 700-720 fully charged.

The reason I asked is all my bar magnets came charged and where all very close in gauss. (alnico 2- alnico 5)

I'll fully charge them all and bring their gauss levels down to different levels and hear what sounds best.
    Last edited by markeymark; 02-21-2007, 02:02 AM.

Comment

What gauss meter are you using? There is some great info at steven kerstins sight on magnets and gauss levels and such.

Comment

Carlsen Melton.

Peace

Comment

Did you just get that.... I heard that was pretty damn good! Sweet!!

Comment

Spence recommended it.....

Its sweet!!!!!!

Comment

You have to take into account exactly the dimensions of your alnico. think of it as a water tank. Small tanks hold less than big tanks. Also, hold down the button on the Carlsen Melton and move the probe all over the pole face including the edges and corners as this will show the maximum gauss.

The gauss will drop off too after charging and settle to a relative constant.

BTW, I'm glad to see you took the advice on choice of gaussmeter. It really is a fine piece of kit.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Quoted from question #450 of Seymour's Q & As

"I like the tone you get with weaker magnets and I spend much of my work week calibrating magnets for a desired tone".
                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I'm with Seymour.

Comment

Working...
                  X