Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker Cover Dimensions

Hi all,

I'm new to pickup building and am working on a little project. I want to build a MIDI pickup that will fit into a humbucker cover but I'm having trouble finding dimensions. First off, where can I buy just the covers? The few places I've found (stew mac, etc) don't have very detailed schematics.

Mainly I'm looking for X and Y in that drawing. I realize its gonna be different for each string spread but I didn't know if there was any kind of "standard" size. The outer dimensions are the size of my PCB, which I'm pretty sure will fit in a cover, if not please let me know. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Ikedude View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to pickup building and am working on a little project. I want to build a MIDI pickup that will fit into a humbucker cover but I'm having trouble finding dimensions. First off, where can I buy just the covers? The few places I've found (stew mac, etc) don't have very detailed schematics.

Mainly I'm looking for X and Y in that drawing. I realize its gonna be different for each string spread but I didn't know if there was any kind of "standard" size. The outer dimensions are the size of my PCB, which I'm pretty sure will fit in a cover, if not please let me know. Thanks!
    Hello Ikedude:
    I'm no expert, but there are 3 basic humbucker dimensions. The 49.2mm, 50mm, & 53mm. The 50mm is what I mostly use. It 50mm from center of outside hole to center of outside hole.
    Not sure where to get your other dimensions. Another option is a plastic cover with no holes.
    you can get that from Mojo.
    Mojotone Plastic Humbucker Pickup Cover Black
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

im not sure where your gonna find some specs ,they are pretty standard MOST TIMES
      http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/covers_humbucker.htm
      http://www.allparts.com/Pickup-Cover...arts-s/122.htm - rock bottom prices here
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

These were the cheapest I could find, but they also had the least amount of info, ha.

Amazon.com: ProLine Humbucker Pickup Cover 2-Pack: Gateway

Plastic really might be the way to go, I was kinda worried about lining up the strings and pole pieces but I guess its the same either way.

What would be the best way to attach a cover like that to some PCB? Should I make mounting holes on the board?

Comment

It's going to be awfully hard to beat Roland at their own game. If you move too far away from the bridge, crosstalk becomes a real issue. Their pickup is really a thing of great mastery and beauty. Six micro humbuckers...fantastic separation string to string, easy to mount on just about anything, and perfectly matched to the only synth converter that has a past, present, and future. The only thing better that I know of is going the piezo route. I've measured 26 dB separation on adjacent strings with piezos, and the fundamental you get does a great job driving the synth. It's even better if you process the signals through individually tuned band pass filters. Lindsey Buckingham does "Go Insane" live on a Gibson Chet Atkins in which I put my piezos and custom electronics, and the tracking is incredible.

Comment

the plastic might might be the way to go i dont think i would worry about holes for the pole screws but they can be drilled with the help from a jig
            im not familiar with the proline ,not all covers are created equal hell the could be made from brass for that price, which you will loose some highs
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yeah, I'm not trying for anything especially fancy. My layout right now uses 6 separate neodymium rods, 3/16" by 3/4". I'm gonna wrap them in 42 awg wire, not entirely sure how many turns yet. The overall signal doesn't matter too much cause each string has a separate active low-pass filter giving me 14 dB of gain in the passband. Also, the pitch detection algorithm I'm using doesn't depend on signal strength (as long as the analog-to-digital conversion has enough resolution).

I'm not looking to make something with perfect tracking, actually making it to work with Rock Band 3. They have a new Pro Guitar mode that is basically flowing tablature. Their custom guitars have neck sensors that just tell the game what fret you're pressing. With some simulations I've done it takes about 10 mS to calculate the fret pressed. That might be too much lag, but I won't know till I try it. Calculation time isn't actually the biggest factor, its waiting for a half cycle of the fundamental frequency.

What would be the best way to minimize string crosstalk? Staying close to the bridge as possible?

Comment

Working...
              X