Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup output voltages vs number of windings

Just a quickie.

For a typical strat pickup....does anyone have a ballpark figure for output voltage (I realise that this is somewhat a moving target as it'll depend on pickup materials, magnet strength, how hard the sting is plucked etc)....just after ballpark figures.

Turn count - how does that relate to output voltage - I believe it's not linearly proportional (ie doubling the number of turns on a bobbin will not double the output?). something to do with the square of the No of turns? can someone translate that into real world numbers?

For example, lets say a coil with 5,000 turns on it produced an output of 100mV ....what could one therefore expect with the same wire, magnets etc, but say with only 1,000 tiurns?

cheers,

pesky.

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post

Turn count - how does that relate to output voltage - I believe it's not linearly proportional (ie doubling the number of turns on a bobbin will not double the output?). something to do with the square of the No of turns? can someone translate that into real world numbers?

For example, lets say a coil with 5,000 turns on it produced an output of 100mV ....what could one therefore expect with the same wire, magnets etc, but say with only 1,000 tiurns?

cheers,

pesky.
    It is certainly not the square, and it should be close to linear. If you connected the pickup directly to a very high input impedance load and wound on only a few layers of wire so that no significant amount of flux returning back up to the string (after passing down through the core) passed through the coil it would linear. The law of induction assures this.

On a real pickup, you should expect somewhat less than linear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
      It is certainly not the square, and it should be close to linear. If you connected the pickup directly to a very high input impedance load and wound on only a few layers of wire so that no significant amount of flux returning back up to the string (after passing down through the core) passed through the coil it would linear. The law of induction assures this.

On a real pickup, you should expect somewhat less than linear.
      Post number 4 in this thread has the info I was after (found via google!)....

Low-impedance pickups - diyAudio

...it was inductance I was getting muddled up with wrt 'square of the turns'.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X