How do I repair this strange pup made in Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David King View Post
    I wonder if these weren't wound on a round form and squished oblong after the fact but before wax potting.
    I tried that once. It might have been my technique, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

You need to make a flat face plate. Get some bass strap buttons and screw them into the face plate and wind the coil on them. You will need to measure the inside length of that coil and add a couple of millimetres to allow for the ribbon wrap.
      Next, undo the original wrap ( it may be a fibre like paper tape in wax ). weigh the coil and wind new coil to that weight having first identified the gauge.
      Tie the coil with cotton and remove from jig before soldering on hookups and wrapping with tape.
      Coil done.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

In over 20 years I never got the hang of waxing on a former as the inner start layers never got the full treatment and allways came appart so I reverted to self bond wire and misted it with alcohol from a pump spray every 2 or 3 layers as I slowed it down but still had to leave over night to harden off. As Spence said waxed tape or thin masking tape 1/4 or 3/8 wide will do it but recently tried cling film (saran wrap) and that works enough to keep it isolated from the steel plates. They pull into shape real easy but just be gentle with it and you'll do fine David.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the some great ideas and suggestions.......this info has helped so much to avoid a lot of trial, error and head aches I'm sure
          Thanks
          Norm

Comment

if this is useful, I wind without a bobbin by covering both sides of the core with aluminum plates covered in paper which is layered with petroleum jelly. There has to be a hole or holes through the core to attach the whole mess to the winder. after winding I use CA glue to pot it and keep the form. the jelly keeps the coil from sticking to the sides.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I managed to complete the rewind of this pup; unfortunately, I was so busy I forgot to take pictures,….oh well.
              I made a winding bobbin by cutting 2 pieces, top and bottom of ¼” Plexiglas (cut like a race track) slightly larger than the outside wind dimension. I screwed 2pcs 5/8 Dia” X ¼” thick, round nylon discs (slightly larger than the center disc mags)with center holes to accept small screws the right distance apart and sandwiched them all together. I placed some ¼” wide paper coil tape (sticky side out, towards the coil) around the nylon spacers to protect the coil wire when removing form the bobbin. After winding the correct thickness coil of 43 AWG poly coated wire to approx 6K, I wax potted the coil and let it set up. I then removed the screws, heated the to outside Plexiglas covers to release the wax and remove coil. I came out great, a nice rectangular wad race track. I laid double thickness of plastic wrap (this was the key, thanks for the suggestion) over metal frame and mags and gently stuffed the coil in the channel keeping the wrap underneath; cut the plastic wrap excess and covered the top of the coil. Before covering it I soldered the lead wires, shrink wrapped the connections and covered them with the plastic wrap…I just tap tested through an amp and so far so good. It actually sounded nice; loud and clear.
              Thanks for the help guys
              Norm

Comment

Working...
              X