Basic Q About Evaluating Bass Pickup Specs For Non-Expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Q About Evaluating Bass Pickup Specs For Non-Expert

Greetings. I am new to this forum and not an expert on pickups or pickup making, but rather a musician. I am interested in basic rule of thumb type info on evaluating bass pickup specs in terms of comparing their relative output, frequency response and quality of tone (say vintage versus modern). SO...is there any way to determine this from looking at specs? Is there a resource which has more info on this which I can refer to? Context of these questions is that I want to replace the single-coil Fender CS P-Bass PU with a louder, more powerful split HB P-Bass PU...and may also consider adding a J PU at the bridge. I'm trying to figure out some of the factors to consider in selecting PUs. I would have to have a experienced luthier do the installation which involves filling/routing. THANKS!!!

Originally posted by alanbuchalter View Post
    SO...is there any way to determine this from looking at specs? Is there a resource which has more info on this which I can refer to? Context of these questions is that I want to replace the single-coil Fender CS P-Bass PU with a louder, more powerful split HB P-Bass PU...and may also consider adding a J PU at the bridge. I'm trying to figure out some of the factors to consider in selecting PUs. I would have to have a experienced luthier do the installation which involves filling/routing. THANKS!!!
    The simple answer is no. However if you are comparing two similar pickups, like a P pickup, you can make assumptions that a pickup with a higher resistance was wound with thinner wire so they could get more turns on it. So something like a Duncan Quarter Pounder or Dimarzio Model P will be hotter pickups. They also use stronger magnets, which is another part of the equation.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

CS =ceramic+steel= hot =sounds like ass.
      I hate this forum software, keeps losing my posts

Comment

A standard Fender P-Bass is already pretty warm.
        11.6k dcr at 10k turns.
        I just rebuilt one a few weeks back and we kept it way on the low side (per the Owner), at 10.3k dcr.
        I was impressed how good it sounded.
        Just experiment with different things, until you get what you like.
        If you want to experiment Modding and trying different things buy a cheap bass to mod.
        Lots of choices, and cheap basses from $120-$200.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          CS =ceramic+steel= hot =sounds like ass.
          I hate this forum software, keeps losing my posts
          I've made some very clear and clean ceramic and steel pickups, but yes, the "hot" part is the culprit. Try and wind them too much and you get harshness.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by alanbuchalter View Post
            Context of these questions is that I want to replace the single-coil Fender CS P-Bass PU with a louder, more powerful split HB P-Bass PU...
            Oh.. I just saw this... it's a single coil P bass. Duncan makes several of them, including a hot version.

Fralin makes a split version. Others might too.

Comment

David, I was in no way impugning anyone but Fender's CS pickups. That said they work well in most music but not much refinement if you use more than 3 chords. I haven't heard the single coil version it might not be hot but my guess is that it will be when compared to a Fralin, an Antiquity or a Nordstrand.

Regardless there's no way to re-rout from a single coil to a full P pu without filling.
              This bad boy might be the answer: it's a 23k dual coil mudbucker.

Fender part# 0073880000
              Last edited by David King; 10-25-2010, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X