Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Sting Hum Magnet Length

Hello Masters of the Pickup Universe...

I am looking to make a 7 string humbucker for my Ibanez Universe.

Looking at Mojo, I can find everything but the magnets. The standard 6 string mags are 2.44" long. I don't think this will work for a 7 because the field will not make it to the outer slug/screws. Does anyone know where I can get a proper magnet for this setup or at least how long it should be?

Thanks!
    Oz

Normal string spacing is about 10mm.

After the necessary units conversions, I calculate a 2-7/8" long magnet.

It may be easier to use several smaller magnets.
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I've gotten them from AllStar Magnetics - but I ordered a bunch so I'm not sure if you can get just one. You can just add/epoxy a 1/4" piece of your magnet of choice to the end of the normal sized magnet too. When you magnetize the 2 pieces together it will be the same as having a long magnet as magnetic circuits do not need the conectivity that electrical circuits do.

You can also do something like have a treble side of the magnet as an AL2 and the bass end AL5.... I think that would sound pretty good.

Comment

That's great Mike, I really like that idea. Thank you!

Now, the golden question. What is the best way to cut one of these buggers? (Alnico5)

Comment

I found a previous thread that covered my question... Thanks again

Cutting Alnico Magnets?

Comment

7 stings must really hurt...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
              7 stings must really hurt...
              How about 9 strings? I made a pickup for this guy a few years ago. Yes, it's a guitar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-string.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	819342
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X