Ghost Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Meter

Can anyone recommend a good Gauss Meter for winding pickups? Ebay has quite a selection of cheap "ghost meters" which detect EMFs and "hot zones" around the house. These ghostbusting devices seem to measure from 0-10 milliGauss. What parameters are we dealing with when measuring the coercivity of Alnico or ceramics in pickups? Also, I have an old acoustic parlour guitar that is totally haunted. I have to keep it in an orgone accumulator (psychic humidor). Will the Gauss Meter reading be affected by the orgone accumulator or the presence of negative vibes directed at it? Please help.

Build the gauss meter kit found here on the forum. It works very well and is pretty inexpensive. Pickup magnets read in the hundreds of Gs, so those "ghost" meters wont work.

Orgone energy has nothing to do with ghosts.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That looks like a nifty little project. I'll have to get me a hall effect sensor from an old computer drive. All of the parts needed are very cheap. The only thing worth more than 7 bucks is my multi-meter. I wonder how these manufacturers can justify charging 2 to 6 bills for something that can be made at home by an amateur for less than 40 bones? The Chinese could make them and sell them for 60 bucks I'll bet.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
        That looks like a nifty little project. I'll have to get me a hall effect sensor from an old computer drive. All of the parts needed are very cheap. The only thing worth more than 7 bucks is my multi-meter. I wonder how these manufacturers can justify charging 2 to 6 bills for something that can be made at home by an amateur for less than 40 bones? The Chinese could make them and sell them for 60 bucks I'll bet.
        Normally the Hall sensor in a HD is a hall switch, a gauss meter need a linear sensor, but anyway even Elepro's unit doesn't come in a 40 bones for a DIY kit.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I bought one of these ghost meters, but it didn't work as intended....I felt a complete ghoul.

Comment

That's not really in the spirit of this thread, though.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

AlphaLab Gauss Meter and EMF Detectors

Model 1-ST or GM2

I have an older AlphaLab model with an axial probe. Works great. YMMV.

Comment

What parameters are we dealing with when measuring the coercivity of Alnico or ceramics in pickups?
                You'll be measuring from about 50 gauss to 2000 gauss for most pickups.

Also, I have an old acoustic parlour guitar that is totally haunted
                Is it one of those crazy Larrivee Parlors? crazy people make them, maybe thats why its haunted

Comment

There are some cheap chinese gauss meters that will measure up to 20 000 gauss DC for less than 2 bills. Anyone out there ever used one? Supposedly they are calibrated. I'm more concerned with having consistency when I have degaussed my mags. If the gauge craps out then who knows how well it was calibrated.

Comment

You will only need something in the range of 300-1500 Gauss for most of your normal pickup work.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                    X