Humbuckers for jazz guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers for jazz guitars

I am thinking of winding humbuckers for a semi hollow jazz guitar. Can anybody help me out with the specs; DCR, type of alnico magnet, etc..... How about covers. Are they really necessary to get that mellow jazz tone? I am going after something like George Benson's Ibanez tone. Thanks a lot in advance.

I think the covers are nescessary. But remember you have other types. IIRC, Bacsik used a "charlie christian" pickup at the neck and something looking like a bartolini on the bridge.

Bye.

Max.

Comment

I don't think covers are necessary but they are traditional.

One thing to look out for is that some covers color the tone more than others -- which can be an advantage. Covers that drain away some treble response might be a plus on a jazzbox to take a pickup that might be a little shrill and smooth it out/warm it up.

Comment

jazzers....

I've never seen a real jazzer use an uncovered bucker unless they are fusion guys. You gotta remember those big ass archtops are dark sounding guitars, so you don't need a hot pickup. Those guys use their tone controls alot too. I have a jazz box and in the neck a low wind pickup works best.
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Stewmac Covers

I remember reading a post here that said Hb covers from STEWMAC suck because of the material used. I come from the Philippines and the only way I can get my hands on stuff is via mail order. The cost of shipping is a bit expensive so I got to know where to get them before placing orders. Can you guys point out somebody to me who has good reasonably priced HB covers? Thanks in advance.

BTW, what about the value of the capacitors used in jazz guitars, are they the same as the ones used in a regular HB equipped guitar?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruel View Post
            BTW, what about the value of the capacitors used in jazz guitars, are they the same as the ones used in a regular HB equipped guitar?
            I usually recommend a .033 for jazz type guitars for a nice warm tone rolled off.

Stan
            -Stan
            ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
            Stan Hinesley Pickups
            FaceBook

Comment

Thanks for the info Stan.

Comment

Working...
              X