Winding Tension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winding Tension?

Most of you may die of laughter reading this, but here goes. I wind pickups with a fishing reel, yes; a fishing reel. I just finished a humbucker that was built entirely from scratch except for the ceramic magnet, pole pieces, and baseplate. I had to build the bobbin on this extra tall, because I am having a problem keeping a tight tension with my windings. I have tried the felt trick while spooling from the floor and that didn't work for me. What is the best hands-free method of tensioning you "pro" winders use? Mind you, I am just another guy winding as a hobby. I just want to improve my amount of 42awg I can fit on a standard size humbucker bobbin.

I suggest getting inventive.
    Mount the reel on a rod handle, and put the rod handle in a clamp or vise.
    Turn the reel handle with one hand and guide the wire with your other hand.
    Or make a clamping devise to hold a drill, and turn the bobbin with the drill, and guide the wire with at least one hand.
    Do a search on YouTube for pickup winding.
    There are all kind of ways to turn and wind pickups.
    You just need to get creative, and think outside the box.
    StewMac has several ideas on their pickup kit winding instructions.
    They show how to use a drill.
    STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Parts Kit for Strat Pickup
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

For a great tensioner check out a Heanium gate. It's like a womans hair clip but is totally adjustable. Works like a charm.

I use those and felt in aligator clips. One right after the spool and one before the pickup

Comment

I've got an old de-reeler/tensioner that came with my COWECO winder, and it uses a felt clip as well as a hysteresis tensioner that I keep off. It might be good for heavier wire, but for 42 and 44 ga. it's too fussy. The felt works great, and I can tweak the tension by adding in a bit of just about anything to lessen the pressure. I usually use a short length of 22 ga. buss wire, and just find the right position. With that I can hold very close tolerances for DCR, whether that matters or not. At least I know that the tension is very well controlled.

Comment

a little drop of lemon oil on the felt also helps glide the wire

Comment

Working...
          X