70s strat pickups/magnet insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
    Corona Dope is not Q-Dope. Corona Dope is a heavy rubber composition that one coated the outside of a high-voltage transformer (such as the flyback transformer in a cathode-ray tube TV) to prevent corona breakdown and destruction of the transformer.

There was a long thread on suitable ways to coat or tape magnets before winding to prevent subsequent shorts. The thread also went into how to make your own Q-Dope by dissolving polystyrene packing peanuts in toluol.

I doubt that Fender used Q-Dope. It really won't keep the wire from swimming through the film unless you dry the bobbin for a week. Q-Dope is intended for gluing the wire of a RF coil in place, and insulating the wire as well.
    Joe, I read all 4 pages of the thread, and it seemed non-conclusive to me.
    I never did see an absolute, for a quick and easy way to keep from shorting out to the magnets.
    So I'm back to my original method of Spraying the whole bobbin with spray lacquer, let dry.
    Then tape and then wind the coil.
    I tried using some super glue like it said in the thread, way to messy for me!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I think the conclusions were as follows:

People seemed to find tape the best, if it was the right kind and was exactly the correct width.

Air-dry films took a long time to dry, but did glue the flatwork to the magnets nicely.

Two-part coatings, which cure by chemical reaction, seemed the best of the coatings.

The pressure of the wire on the magnets is substantial, and the wire will simply swim through a soft film.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
        The pressure of the wire on the magnets is substantial, and the wire will simply swim through a soft film.
        I think that's only true of the first few layers, since the stress is distributed amongst many wraps of wire, and they tend to support the others.

You can see this by coils having lose winds even inside a fully wound coil.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I think that's only true of the first few layers, since the stress is distributed amongst many wraps of wire, and they tend to support the others.
          It's true that the pressure on the inner layers is the greater than for the outer layers. So that's why the inner layers seems to be the most prone to shorts. Although a kink can cut through anywhere.

You can see this by coils having loose winds even inside a fully wound coil.
          Not actually a proof. If a coil is wound very loose, there won't be so much pressure buildup. But it a coil is wound tight, you will have the pressure buildup, limited by some unholy combination of wire slippage and bobbin crushing. And wax is completely outclassed in such cases.

Comment

insulation for magnets that works

Hi everybody:
            I hope this will help you all. I test everything since lacquer, similar but harder transformer lacquer, and they always fail, risking the coil bobbin to put it in short with the magnets. Besides that, if you have a loose fiber/magnet contact use cyanocrilate, just a drop at inside contact point is enough.
            Then use paper sticking tape around the magnets to prevent contact of the magnets with the bobbin coil (avoid sloppy work) press it, and let it drie for a time.
            NEVER GET SHORT WITH THIS!
            Regards,
            José

Comment

Working...
            X