Newb Question: Schatten power adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Question: Schatten power adapter

Hi all I am new to this forum. Name is Don and I intend to get into a bit of pickup winding. I have received a Schatten winder from Stewmac - international model. though after having ordered it I read of some horror stories of it having broken down including some in the Stewmac reviews section under the pickup winder itself.

I am not ready to use it yet but have checked out the power adapter and unit all seems to work. I noticed the power adapter makes a soft and very high pitched warbling sound which is annoying to say the least. The power adapter is quite small and seems cheap to my eyes.

So I looked it up - it is rated at input 100-240v
    Model 3A-061WP12
    output 9-12v 4w max
    @9v 0.66a
    tip negative.

Now the Schatten specification calls for 9v 500ma. I wonder if I would be better advised to buy a regulated power supply so as I can be sure of the 9V voltage. I don't like the fact of this 9-12V variability in the supply and wonder if it could damage the machine in the long run.

I note David Schwab's comments that he feels the speed control unit has failed in his unit and wonder if the variable voltage could be an issue here.

Here is a link to the data sheet :Datasheets.elport.info - Datasheet search site, Datasheet search site for Electronic Components and Semiconductors and other semiconductors. FREE datasheets catalog (store) for all types of electronics.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks Don
    Last edited by Lpone; 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM.

Welcome Don,
    I really wouldn't worry too much about the voltage as it probably drops to 9V as soon as a load is applied. It is a switching supply evidenced by the input voltage requirements. All the parts of a Schatten winder are easily replaced and Stewmac will cover it for the first year at least, perhaps indefinitely if you complain loudly enough. You will undoubtedly outgrow this winder eventually and either use it for parts to build your next one or sell it locally and start over from scratch. Any 9V DC supply, preferably one with 2A will work if you get tired of the noise from the current adaptor. It is probably defective if it's really as loud as you say it is. Stewmac should send you a free replacement, no questions asked.

Comment

Lpone,

Any 9V DC supply, preferably one with 2A will work if you get tired of the noise from the current adaptor. It is probably defective
      David is right, as just about any 9v supply will work. If you have a Savers, Goodwill or other thrift/junk shop near you, just search them for a 9volt 500ma or more 'transformer based' supply from a radio or CD player. A 1amp version would be great. I find the transformer supplies work better than the switching supplies with small motors like yours.

Good luck,
      ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Thank you to David and Ken for your helpful comments. I decided to bite the bullet and buy another regulated 9v 800 ma power adapter. Like this one:

9 Volt Adapter | Dick Smith NZ

No (soft - you have to be close to hear it) annoying noises and I noticed the Schatten seems to turn ever so slightly smoother - may be just a false impression ? placebo effect but the one that came with the winder seemed to to induce a VERY faint LFO (low frequency oscillation) at full unloaded speed compared to the new one. Who knows but I am happy with my decision thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X