No announcement yet.

Where's stew mac get their screws from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's stew mac get their screws from?

I really like their screws. I was wondering if the radi on the head contributes to the manipulated tone changes, when comparing them with other types. I suppose you could have them made......but i am wondering who makes them....

I agree with you......I really like their polepieces too. The batch i have is perfectly made...no tooling marks or any other flaws. They also have a nice satin nickel finish.

SM will never tell their source. I asked them about where they get their braided wire and they told me that it is company policy not to divulge information about thier suppliers.

I spent literally 100 hours tracking down the wire...i almost gave up...but i finally found out where SM and AP, and other big names get braided wire.

In addition, back in December, I contacted SM to ask them what type of metal they use in there polepieces and slugs....Erik Coleman, their technical advisor's response is quoted below:

"...the metal composition of our #5943 slugs and #5944 polepiece screws. Our supplier is not able to provide us with this specific information, it is not necessary for them to do so with items of this nature since it is not a potential chemical or enviornmental hazard.

We can however assure you that they are not intended to be an exact replica of the original Gibson parts. So if you were to have a metallurgist compare the two compositionally, ours would be considerably different that the original Gibson's.

Our #5943 slugs and #5944 polepice screws are high quality components and do happen to sound great regardless of their non-vintage specifications.
    Let me know if I can provide further assistance".
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

They self-thread very nicely but I wish the heads were bigger.

Comment

Yeah, they just told me to shove it too. 24 piece price stays.

Comment

head diameter

yeah it makes a difference the same diff you hear in 3/16" vs the .197" alnico slug diameters. I am betting the SM screws are 1018 steel, they are very soft. they wouldn't tell me either :-)
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            I am betting the SM screws are 1018 steel, they are very soft. they wouldn't tell me either :-)
            I'm betting they just don't know. As with Erik Coleman's reply, I'm sure they found parts and ordered them. The supplier probably just list them as pole piece screws, or whatever. If they are pickup specific parts, like baseplates, they went with something they liked, probably after trying out a bunch like we do. For screws, who knows?
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X