No announcement yet.

Why no single coil blade pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer a Microtech "OTF" double action knife, myself. OTF=Out The Front Look 'em up!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
      Didn't Leo Fender invent the single coil?
      Leo invented the pickup! But first he invented the magnet, and magnet wire. And guitars and rock and roll. That Leo was clever.

I think he had something to do with inventing cheese also.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I actually was going to post a new thread, but maybe I can jump in here...

I wanted to know if anyone could give me any details on the Bill Lawrence single-blade pickup he made for the Gibson Marauder, if they were a quality build/good pickup, or if he was forced to build something for the bean counters at the time for Gibson (cheap).

As well, here's a few pics of a Kay Speed Bump pickup ripped apart, the wire is wound right on the bar magnet, I had already de-spooled the wire off of the pickup before I took the pic.

So here's an example of a mid-late '70's blade SC, and a pkp where the coil is wrapped right on the magnet.

Hope you enjoy the pics, and if anyone has any good info on the BL Marauder pickup quality, most appreciated here.

Gibson Marauder / Bill Lawrence SC Blade, '70's

Kay Speed Bump Exposed

Comment

Boy, that Marauder bridge pickup is a real sonic icepick! The veritable inverse of someone's hearing loss...

The Kay...can't quite tell...ceramic or cast Alnico? And that's a steel base plate, right?

Comment

Jeez, almost forgot the marauder's brother, the S-1, also Gibson, same time period I believe, late '70's, yet a different SC Blade style build!

Comment

I actually have strat flatwork ready to release that will use an Alnico blade/bar.
              There will also be a steel blade version in the future.
              At the moment, the only magnet I have to use is an Alnico 4 ( 2.2 x .500 x .125 ).
              I am working though some prototyping with this magnet but a .600 tall version in
              Alnico 5 will be made to accommodate it.

(This can also be used for our blade humbucker)
              Mojotone Humbucker Blade Pickup Bobbin Black)

Comment

Originally posted by tomatmojotone View Post
                I actually have strat flatwork ready to release that will use an Alnico blade/bar.
                There will also be a steel blade version in the future.
                At the moment, the only magnet I have to use is an Alnico 4 ( 2.2 x .500 x .125 ).
                I am working though some prototyping with this magnet but a .600 tall version in
                Alnico 5 will be made to accommodate it.
                (This can also be used for our blade humbucker)
                Mojotone Humbucker Blade Pickup Bobbin Black)
                Tom Your doing a great job!
                Is it possible that there could be some white blade bobbins.
                If the customer wants a blade bucker in the Bridge posistion he wants it to match his mid. and neck single coils.
                More often than not that color is white!
                Thanks again Tom for all your help!
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement!
                  We do offer a white humbucker blade bobbin here:
                  Mojotone Humbucker Blade Pickup Bobbin White

(I am looking at some other materials to make the flatwork in different colors also.)

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement!
                    We do offer a white humbucker blade bobbin here:
                    Mojotone Humbucker Blade Pickup Bobbin White

(I am looking at some other materials to make the flatwork in different colors also.)
                    No, that is for a full sized bucker.
                    I was talking about a small Single Coil sized blade Humbucker.
                    Either a cover or offer white bobbins for a small blade humbucker Strat single coil sized.
                    Thanks,
                    Terry
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      No, that is for a full sized bucker.
                      I was talking about a small Single Coil sized blade Humbucker.
                      Either a cover or offer white bobbins for a small blade humbucker Strat single coil sized.
                      Thanks,
                      Terry
                      The bobbins that Mojo currently have for dual blade Strat pickups will not fit in any cover. If you look at the covered Duncan rail pickups, the bobbins are shorter to fit under the cover.

You can shorten these very easily however. I'm quite sure I pointed this out already.

White bobbins in this style would be great! I would like some Tom!

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        The bobbins that Mojo currently have for dual blade Strat pickups will not fit in any cover. If you look at the covered Duncan rail pickups, the bobbins are shorter to fit under the cover.

You can shorten these very easily however. I'm quite sure I pointed this out already.

White bobbins in this style would be great! I would like some Tom!

Yes you did mention that on another post.
                        So you are saying that the bobbin above if shortened, will or will not fit in a strat single coil cover.
                        If we had white bobbins that would cure the need and the expense of a cover.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Sorry guys!
                          I will ask my vendor if we can get the strat bucker bobbin in white.
                          I will also inquire about a smaller version.

Comment

Sorry guys!
                            I will ask my vendor if we can get the strat bucker bobbin in white.
                            I will also inquire about a smaller version.
                            Heres two shorter smaller style bobbins:

SANHE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT CO., LTD.

SANHE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT CO., LTD.

Same part numbers for Daeil Chemical.

The other one doesn't seem to come in white.

I'd also like to see this one:

http://www.toparts.kr/pc_12.html

And the existing soapbar bass covers in white too!

Comment

Working...
                            X