pickup replacement noise question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup replacement noise question

Hey guys, I just installed a new set of my own telecaster pickups into my friend's american tele. They sound great, but now there seems to be some noise when we use the pickup selector. I guess it isn't so much noisy as it sounds like the pickup selector gets amplified through the guitar amp. The pickups are actually really quiet, but it just sounds like the pickup selector has a microphone on it. I wired everything like it should be, and the ground wires are soldered to their respective points as well as soldered to the baseplate on the bridge and the metal cover on the neck pickup. I just can't figure out why this is happening now. It didn't seem to do this before. Help!

In all likelihood you have issues with the baseplate on the bridge pickup. If you're using a baseplate you shouldn't have the forbon on the pickup threaded, and there should be some tape between the pickup and the baseplate to help cushion and absorb some of those sounds.

Good luck!

Comment

The problem is that the sound is in all positions of the pickup selector. It just sounds like there is a microphone underneath the pickup selector amplifying the switch sound regardless of the position. On the pickup that I built, I put a piece of tape across the magnets, between the forbon/magnets and the baseplate. Also, I was sure to bore out the holes on the forbon to be a bit bigger than those on the baseplate. I knew there would be problems if the baseplate were to be loose. I wound the bridge pickup, then wrapped it with the string, added the tape to the bottom of the forbon, attached the baseplate and potted it. So, none of the usual suspects would be the problem. I just don't understand what is going on with it. Do I need to use something thicker than just scotch tape, and put it on more than just over the magnets?

Comment

How about the neck pickup? What you're describing definitely sounds like microphonics. I'm not sure what else it could be. Wiring won't do it, unless you have a broken coil and consequently turning the amp up louder than you otherwise would have to.

I'd just keep poking around the instrument looking for something loose. Do you wind your coils very loosely or tightly?

You can try tapping the pickups and listening to how loud that is. If the pickup is highly microphonic, it'll sound like a kick drum.

Some pickups I've made I haven't bothered securing very well (out of laziness because I know I"m going to rip them apart in a week or two anyway), and it doesn't take much in terms of looseness on any of the parts to make lots and lots of noise. You're also comparing them most likely to the original pickups which would have been potted... the new ones you made probably haven't been.

Comment

Mr F. is correct.
          I just went through a testing bout with baseplates on a Strat bridge.
          If the baseplate is the least bit loose you will get the amplified sound.
          Another test is to switch to the Bridge and tap on the pickup, if it is real loud, its the potting issue.
          What happens, even if you pot it to the pickup with tape between, if the forbon is threaded, it will push the baseplate off a little when it threads into the baseplate.
          Making the plate loose again.
          So I would enlarge the holes in the forbon so all threading is done to the baseplate, you will probably need to pot or heat up the wax again when you do that.
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          So I was a bit late writing this. Looks like you addressed some of the issues I mentioned above.
          It still sounds like a baseplate, so something is loose causing the microphonics.
          Last edited by big_teee; 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM. Reason: Edited because He already bored the holes
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Yeah, i potted the pickups pretty thoroughly but youre right about tapping on it. It's relatively loud. So, should i try to repot them? Would it be ok to use double stick foam tape like on the pickup winder to attach the baseplate and THEN repot them? One more question, should I let the wax in the neck pickup dry upside down so it will stay full around the coil and magnets? I don't ever wrap a loose coil, i usually wrap them pretty tight, but these are my first tele pickups. thanks in advance! Oh, btw how long should i let it soak in wax? I only did 10 mins. Does it need to be longer if its the tele pickup?
            Last edited by John Carlsen; 01-07-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Unpotted pickups, if they are free of other issues, shouldn't be THAT microphonic. I'm thinking you have something else going on.

Comment

Another thing you might try to prove a point.
                Take each loose one at a time at the switch and tape the pickup leads temporaryly, and see if its one pickup or both that are microphonic.
                For example take the bridge loose and see if you still have that awful switch noise with just the neck connected.
                Then try it the other way.
                Last week when I was messing with my strat bridge base plate, I took it loose and took a candle and dripped wax under the plate.
                Then once you put the screws back on then warm up the plate with the soldering iron, and let the wax rebond the plate. Then the mic. noise was gone!
                Good Luck,
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                  You can try tapping the pickups and listening to how loud that is. If the pickup is highly microphonic, it'll sound like a kick drum.
                  I would add that it's best if the object used to tap on the pickups is non-metallic and an electrical insulator, to prevent confusing responses.

Comment

I had an afterthought on this. Did you happen to replace the switch as well? If you put in one of those 4-way switches, it essentially leaves the neck pickup on all the time (or the bridge... I forget). They tried to do too much with too few lugs when they came up with that wiring, and they turn off one of the pickups by lifting the ground instead of opening the lead, so it remains on all the time, albeit weak. If there is noise coming from that pickup, then you're going to hear it in all pickup positions, even the ones that supposedly don't use that pickup.

Just a thought...

Comment

There are some really great suggestions on here! I did not install a different switch, it's still the original three way one. I'm going to have to try some of your suggestions and see what is thd matter. I didnt do any major rewiring or anything so i'm guessing that one or both of the pups are microphonic.

Comment

Working...
                      X