Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers

Hi!

Everywhere i read about humbuckers it says that the 2 coils must be winded in opposite directions of each other(1 clockwise/1 counterclockwise) to get a humcancelling effect.
    But on the stewmac instructions it says that both coils should be winded counterclockwise.

6. Traditionally PAF coils were wound counterclockwise (when viewed from the top of the pickup) with 5,000 turns of wire. Set the "traverse limiter" on your winder so the coil wire stops about .020" from the flatwork on both sides. This helps prevent the windings from deforming and gives a more uniform looking coil. If you have a winder with a counter, set it to zero. Start the first 6-10 wraps turning the winder by hand to seat the black lead wire and insure that the coil wire won’t be pulled off of the bobbin when you start the winding.

7. Once you’ve achieved the desired number of windings, carefully cut the coil wire and solder it to the white lead wire so that it extends from the same end of the coil as the start “black” lead wire. Wrap the coil several times with 1/4" wide Pickup Tape (#5951) to secure the lead wire and protect the coil wire. Repeat the winding procedure for the other coil (same winding direction, same number of turns).

Is there something that I've missed?

They don't have to be physically wound in the opposite direction to get noise cancellation, they can be wound in the same direction but just have the leads swapped on one of the coils such that the electrons are moving in the opposite direction relative to the other coil. Physically, it's not the winding direction as such but the direction of the current flow that yields a polarity reversal of the noise.

This approach can cause issues with pickups where the coils are wound directly on the poles, but with a humbucker bobbin giving robust insulation it should be fine.
    www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Ahh...Of course! So if I wind both coils clockwise and use black for both starts and white for both finnish, the 2 white solders together. Thank you very much!
      I'm very new to this and I know it's a dumb question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tompa View Post
        Ahh...Of course! So if I wind both coils clockwise and use black for both starts and white for both finnish, the 2 white solders together. Thank you very much!
        I'm very new to this and I know it's a dumb question.
        Also one edge of the Bar Magnet Touches the 6 slugs of the Slug bobbin (Usually north). The other edge of the bar magnet touches agianst the Keeper bar of the Adjustable Screw bobbin (Usually South). The magnet polarity combined with the wiring arrangement, makes it a humbucker.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thank you for the info! much needed.

Comment

Working...
          X