Hello from new guy! Hav a question on wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from new guy! Hav a question on wire

Hello - I'm Dave. I have gotten into this as a hobby cause I can't leave things alone. I'm always tinkering with stuff way too much.
    I have a question while i'm typing - what 28 guage hookup wire do you guys tend to prefer - teflon, pvc, PPE, etc for the leads off the coils of humbuckers?? Thanks in advance for any responces. I've been trolling for a while here and find this site a fun and interesting site to read.
    Thanks, Dave

Originally posted by FXD96 View Post
    Hello - I'm Dave. I have gotten into this as a hobby cause I can't leave things alone. I'm always tinkering with stuff way too much.
    I have a question while i'm typing - what 28 guage hookup wire do you guys tend to prefer - teflon, pvc, PPE, etc for the leads off the coils of humbuckers?? Thanks in advance for any responces. I've been trolling for a while here and find this site a fun and interesting site to read.
    Thanks, Dave
    Everyone does things a bit different, but I like the mojo 4 wire. I put it on most of my humbuckers.
    I cut a short piece and use all 4 colors, to match the wiring I solder them to.
    I like this wire, because it doesn't creep bad when you solder to it.
    It's not teflon, but a good high temp pvc, probably.
    I use the Gibson color code, white and red on one bobbin and black and green on the other. The colors you use would be up to you.
    Mojo Wire » AWG 28-Ga 4-Conductor Shielded Guitar Pickup Wire
    Later,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry.

Comment

If I remember I bought my recent spools from All Cable, Inc. - Home

Note sure on the coating, but its a standard item. 28 gauge stranded tined copper wire with a black jacket .. They may dye the jacket but it looks great and was the exact same outer diameter as the leads from a PAF I took apart. I tried using wire from my local fry's electronics and the diameter was quite a bit different.

Comment

I'm in the process of trying to track down some decent teflon stuff, but haven't found it yet. I'd stay away from polypropylene, my memory is that it hates heat from the iron too much, and wouldn't end up looking very nice in a guitar since much of the time you need a good amount of heat. Most stuff out there is PVC, and of course plenty of people say skip it altogether and go with cloth.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I think i'll try the All Cable site for some wire. I had some wire that the insulation did tend to melt when soldering - so i was looking for a wire that looked right, and soldered well too without the coating starting to melt and look ugly. I wasn't sure how the teflon coating would look

Comment

Working...
            X