No announcement yet.

Went crazy, put 10 thousand turns on a bridge A2 strat single coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

put the 5.5 in the neck or put some more wire on it.
    Does the wire look ok on the spool, no nicks or gouges?
    I don't wind mine too hot.
    I like 5.75-5.8kNeck, 6-6.2k Mid,6.3-6.5k Bridge.
    I make the neck pickup the tallest bobbin, so its not muddy, I make the bridge the shortest, so it's not Ice-Picky!
    Good Luck
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Well, I stripped it again, found a spot near the base where I'd put a fillagree of superglue around the magnets so that the wire wouldn't be resting against that sharp 90 degree base, there was some small flecks of forbon that seemed pretty hard and sharp. So, I scraped them down and then resprayed the bobbin with lacquer, i'll try winding it again.

Thanks for listening!

Comment

I know exactly how you feel.
        Strat coils either can be the easiest or the most frustrating to wind.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Well, I'm not an uber winder like Jason or Wolfe, I've wound maybe 300 pickups total, I got really lucky with my first 10 or 15 strat pickups and found a formula that worked well for me. But, I've never had a problem twice in a row. I've had a short before, but peeling and rewinding fixed it. To have a short twice in a row, it has to be the gunk on the magnets causing the short.

Speaking of which, I've never had so much trouble assembling a strat bobbin. This is a mojotone bobbin. The bobbins I got from SK before and also some from Jason never had a problem assembling with .187 magnets, but the mojotone bobbins seem to have awfully tight holes. The next set I might try using an undersized straight reamer in my mill to ream the holes out. Never had to do that before, but I had a hell of a time getting the magents in the mojotone bobbins. I even thought it might be a humidity problem, but it's bone dry in my shop. Almost too dry...

Comment

Just curious what your final outcome was.
            Did It all work.
            The holes in the Mojo .187 Laser Flatwork Measured .180 on my digital caliper.
            So the Magnets are a tight fit.
            Like I've mentioned before, I lightly counter sink with something like the end of a slightly larger than hole size phillips screwdriver and chamfer the hole a bit.
            This may be too much trouble for some, but I slightly bevel all my magnets on both end, by chucking each magnet in a cordless drill and hit the grinder for a short burst.
            IMO, I would steer away from drilling out the holes because once the magnets are seated, they're a good snug fit.
            Good Luck,
            Terry

Comment

It's fine now. It must have been a sharp edge on the bobbin, because once I knocked it off and re lacquared the bobbin and rewound it, it now meters out right where it should.

Yeah, I bevel the edges of the mags and also slighlty ream out the holes before seating the mags, but these mojo bobbins seem way tighter than the old ones from SK and Jason that I'd been using.

Thanks for all the help, Terry!

Comment

I find Mojo's flatwork nice & tight
                I use a drill press as a arbor press
                & a small jig to hold the magnets and flatwork in place ,while pressing in the magnets in
                a slight bevel on your magnets will give you the tightest fit & prevent flaring
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Grindell View Post
                  I'm using 42 spn from wirenetics. It could also be that the mechanical counter on my homemade winder is off. I made it per the Lollar book about 7 or 8 years ago. It uses a mechanical counter run by a pulley and a belt and a matching pulley on the shaft of the winder. The pulleys might be slightly off in size. It doesn't seem to be, when turning once, or 10 times, but it could be that say, 100 turns acutally equals 80 turns or 90 turns. I could use a new winder I got from a friend that uses a electro-mechanical winder with a hall efect sensor, but I'm just used to my old one. Plus, I know that for me, on a regular strat bobbin, 8800 turns give me a 6.2 k strat, which for me is perfect for a neck. If I move to a new one, I'll have to recalibrate all my notes and winding habits.
                  Check for shorts from the magnets to the coil.

Man, I'm sounding like a grumpy old curmudgeon. Kinda like Dave Stephens, right Dave?
                  It just ain't the same without Possum.

Dave, come home, right now. We are sorry we called you a crazy old coot. Honest.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I'm an old Coot? I like coots. I'll take what I can get.
                    http://animal.discovery.com/guides/w...rican_coot.jpg
                    The .180 holes on the mojo flatwork sound a bit small to me. I'd just re-drill them with a new 3/16" drill (usually measures .186"). You should end up with a .186 hole if you are just enlarging an existing hole (unless the drill is dull or crap.) I get a nice tight fit that way and pressing them is not a struggle.

Comment

I like them tight like that.
                      The Mojo dimensions are a little snug, but once you get them seated and a coat of spray lacquer and taped, your good to go.
                      No slip and they stay put.
                      IMO Mojo has it all just right!
                      A good product, for a fair price.
                      Good Luck,
                      Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X