Wisker Disc-- I like it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisker Disc-- I like it!

On another thread FunkyK asked if anyone had used wisker discs, I asked him what the heck they were. He pointed me to their website. I was having trouble managing the wire off my roll, so I decided to try one. They aren't too expensive ($3.50 for the one I needed) but S&H was $12 (Ouch).

Anyway, I put it onto my home made winder, and I'm very happy. It does a great job of managing the wire off the roll, and keeping tension on it so that it doesn't all fall to the bottom in a tangle when you make a mid-wind stop to check something. Neat Stuff.

The guide is bent out of a fat guitar G string, about .023" IIRC...
    Attached Files
    making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Very cool! I bought some but I haven't tried them yet (waiting until I switch spools - long story). From what I'm seeing it'll definitely help with the ground feed. I had been doing a 45 degree sort of thing but it has become a bit too cumbersome.

I hear ya on the shipping. I bought a few sizes to be prepared (and to justify the shipping) but for a useful item it still is a steal.

Comment

These are a must IMO. I've used almost since the begining and couldnt imagine not using them now.

Comment

Quick question:

Does the disc spin free on top or is it bolted down so that the whiskers get deflected by the un-spooling wire. In the latter scenario I'd think that the insulation would get scratched off by the ends of the whiskers. No?

Comment

disc is bolted down, the brushes are like cat whiskers, the wire deflects them as it goes by. look at one of the pctures closely. The force is way too low to hurt the insulation, IMHO

Comment

I wonder if stiff nylon whiskers would work about as well. I'm also curious what the gauge of the steel whiskers is, I didn't think steel wire went much below .005". If these are really that inexpensive maybe we should do a group buy and reship them via usps.

Comment

Ah, sorry if I added confusion, the Wisker whiskers are soft nylon, the guide I referred to is the loopy thing hovering above the reel. It was bent out of an old guitar string.

And yes, I think a group buy would be a great idea, these things are cheep except for the S&H.

You are in Portland? (PDX?). I used to live in Vancouver....till the Gray Drove Me Away....

Comment

I should have looked more closely at the photos you posted, I see now that the whiskers are transparent. Silly me.
                The grey dove was all in your head, the sun always shines brightly down in my basement. I just spent the weekend in ABQ and was blinded by the experience. I could get used to that in a hurry. It did expose a lot of dirt and grime under my fingernails that I hadn't noticed before.

Comment

I might have an extra if you want to try it david. Yes they are plastic. They work like a charm

Comment

Working...
                  X