Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winding to the same ohms with differenr AWG number

Hi!
    A question for the experts. How would it sound a pickup wound to 5 Kohms with 42 wire in comparison to the same 5 Kohms but with 44 wire? should I expect a difference in output or sound? Please explain
    Thanks guys!

The resistance is not as important as the number of turns. So, a 5K coil with 42 will have more wire on it than a 5K coil with 44, because the thinner the wire the higher the resistance per foot.

So the 44AWG coil would sound pretty weak and thin.

On the other hand, if you wind both coils with something like 4,000 turns of each gauge, they will be about the same output, but the pickup wound with the 44 AWG will have a tighter low end and more mids. The 42 AWG pickup will sound rounder and have more lows. 40AWG is real nice sounding for neck pickups, but you can't get much wire on standard bobbins.
    Last edited by David Schwab; 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM. Reason: typo
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Harrysong View Post
      How would it sound a pickup wound to 5 Kohms with 42 wire in comparison to the same 5 Kohms but with 44 wire? should I expect a difference in output or sound?
      There would be a difference.

#44 is more resistive than #42.

5000 ohms DCR requires fewer winds of #44 than of #42.

Fewer winds means a lower output and a lower inductance.

A lower inductance means a stronger high frequency balance in the output signal.
      Last edited by salvarsan; 02-27-2011, 12:33 PM.
      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Going to the point. I´m thinking of rewinding a weak sounding Rick Toaster pickup that reads 3.7K ohms wound with # 44 wire. The bobbin is not half full. I´m planning of filling the bobbin as full as possible with #42 wire. People than have done this say that you can´t get more than 5k with the full bobbin.
        Should I expect and increase on ouput if going to a full bobbin of #42 wire?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrysong View Post
          Going to the point. I´m thinking of rewinding a weak sounding Rick Toaster pickup that reads 3.7K ohms wound with # 44 wire. The bobbin is not half full. I´m planning of filling the bobbin as full as possible with #42 wire. People than have done this say that you can´t get more than 5k with the full bobbin.
          Should I expect and increase on ouput if going to a full bobbin of #42 wire?
          The 3.7k@44ga probably has about 3500 winds on it.

If you filled the bobbin with #42, you'd have 5000-6000 winds -- more output, less treble.

[Update] Some of the Rick Toaster replicas from the mid-2000's measured at 6060 ohms, suggesting ~6000 winds of #44.
          Last edited by salvarsan; 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM.
          "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Got it!
            Thank you very much guys!

Comment

Working...
            X