Ric 4001 treble pickup rewind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mkat View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I saw the pics and was surprised myself. There are a few holes under the magnets and a V notch cut into the side, drilling and cutting through rubber is easier than brittle materials.
    That makes a lot of sense also.

The pickup's construction is very wacky, but in a cool way. They figured out how to make the pickups with parts on hand. That's back when they made amps, so I'd bet the PCB and other parts like rivets, were amp parts that had in stock.

The toaster on the other hand has nice molded bobbins and all. So the bridge pickup seems improvised.
    Last edited by David Schwab; 07-15-2008, 06:13 AM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      The pickup's construction is very wacky, but in a cool way. They figured out how to make a pickups with parts on hand. That's back when they made amps, so I'd bet the PCB and other parts like rivets, were amp parts that had in stock.
      Smart. The additional parts expenses would be magnet wire, magnets and the metal covers.

The toaster on the other hand has nice molded bobbins and all. So the bridge pickup seems improvised.
      Yes, hidden in the darkness of the pickup ring or under the cover .
      Last edited by mkat; 07-15-2008, 06:05 AM.
      int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
      www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Rickenbacker pickup rewind

The pickup's construction is very wacky, but in a cool way. They figured out how to make the pickups with parts on hand. That's back when they made amps, so I'd bet the PCB and other parts like rivets, were amp parts they had in stock. The toaster on the other hand has nice molded bobbins and all, so the bridge pickup seems improvised.
        Indeed. However, the first version horseshoe pickup that came on 4000 and 4001 basses up to the second half of the sixties did have a molded bobbin.

Comment

{removed}
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

That and the entire bridge pickup surround. They later switched to a plastic bracket.

I'll give you mine anyway....

Distance between flats: .381"
            Core (screws with foam rubber): about 0.152" X 2.24"
            Screw pole pieces: 0.132 diameter

The flatwork is 1.103" X 3.035" but the coil is only wound out to about 0.80" X 2.51"

The rubber magnet is 0.309" thick, by 0.995" X 3.247"
            Do you have the Pole spacing handy?
            and can you post the hole-to-hole dimension of the aluminum mounting bracket?
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator View Post
              Indeed. However, the first version horseshoe pickup that came on 4000 and 4001 basses up to the second half of the sixties did have a molded bobbin.
              Right.. that's why I was saying the replacement (for the horseshoe) pickup seemed improvised. You wonder why they didn't have bobbins molded for the newer pickup?
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                Do you have the Pole spacing handy?
                and can you post the hole-to-hole dimension of the aluminum mounting bracket?
                I read 0.669" (17.00mm) for the distance between pole centers, 2.038" (51.78mm) from E to G pole.

The two outer mounting holes in the aluminum bracket are 4.930" (125.24mm). The two holes that mount the pickup are 1.661" (4.219mm).

Comment

Distance between flats: .381"
                  Core (screws with foam rubber): about 0.152" X 2.24"
                  Screw pole pieces: 0.132 diameter

The flatwork is 1.103" X 3.035" but the coil is only wound out to about 0.80" X 2.51"
                  Thanks, David.
                  The Coil Estimator has been revised with a "Rick neck" bobbin style.
                  http://www.salvarsan.org/pickups/Coil_Estimator.html

-drh
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                    Thanks, David.
                    The Coil Estimator has been revised with a "Rick neck" bobbin style.
                    http://www.salvarsan.org/pickups/Coil_Estimator.html

-drh
                    That should be "Rick Bass Bridge"

The neck is the Toaster or hi-gain, which is still the toaster.

Comment

You wonder why they didn't have bobbins molded for the newer pickup?
                      I guess they weren't willing to shell out a few more bucks on newly-designed treble pickup bobbins hehehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X