No announcement yet.

Lollar winder vs lathe winder vs ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you adjust the travers bar? Move it closer, to the bobbin, or further away? You got any pictures with a bobbin mounted?

Comment

Hi Joel,

Nice pickup! I don't think I've ever seen another home build musicman pickup before, besides me

Where did you get or what did you use for the eyelets on this picture?

www.MaillouxBasses.com
      www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

Hey. phill,

Believe it or not, after much googleling around, I found a local handcraft store that selled them. They are actually light connectors sockets for dollhouses.

The Bobbins are actually smaller than MM pickups. The original MFD-pickups have magbars and height adjustable polepieces.
        But I wanted a diffirent sound, so I choose the rod style.
        Conveniently enough, the polepieces were the same dia. size as MM rod magnets.

Phil, I actually have to give you some creds. I've learned alot from your site.

Comment

By the way, Are there different publications of the Lollar book?

I've noticed that some, including Jason, reffer to instructions for making bobins with Forbon.
          But mine doen't say anything about it. Only bobbin design with wood and Plexiglass.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
            Can you adjust the travers bar? Move it closer, to the bobbin, or further away? You got any pictures with a bobbin mounted?
            No, you can only move the two stops left and right. I don't have any photos with the bobbin on it, but I have some pickups to wind tonight, so I'll take some snaps.

Here's a few pictures I had taken when I got it. And the last one is one of the first coils I wound... see it winds nice and smooth.
            Attached Files
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              No, you can only move the two stops left and right. I don't have any photos with the bobbin on it, but I have some pickups to wind tonight, so I'll take some snaps.

Here's a few pictures I had taken when I got it. And the last one is one of the first coils I wound... see it winds nice and smooth.
              Thanks. One thing, Did you purpously put a flare on the bobbin shape? Top is wider than the bottom. Unless you are trying to manipulate frequencys, I would know....That can create some unnessisary lowend looseness, seeing more of the field of the string, but flaring down narrower. What is that gook on top of the poles, silicone? I'm sure that thing would rocks......I'm just an asshole about coil shape.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                Thanks. One thing, Did you purpously put a flare on the bobbin shape? Top is wider than the bottom. Unless you are trying to manipulate frequencys, I would know....That can create some unnessisary lowend looseness, seeing more of the field of the string, but flaring down narrower. What is that gook on top of the poles, silicone? I'm sure that thing would rocks......I'm just an asshole about coil shape.LOL
                Nope, just sloppy winding! It looks worse in the picture than it is because of the angle it's on. That's one of the early coils I wound on this winder so I was still getting the technique down. You'd be surprised how different the coils can look and they all sound pretty the same. I've purposely tried different shapes... bulges in the middle, wide at the top or bottom... I record them and compare, and I can't hear a difference. That's because I don't have a lot of wire wound on the coil, so it's never that far from the core. Even going from the rods to the blades didn't do much to the sound. I thought it would be a lot more dramatic a change, but it wasn't. That pickup currently resides in one of my basses along with a blade model. You can hear it here. The first track was this pickup in the bridge position, and the next track has it in the neck, with a blade model in the bridge. I've changed the blade model twice since this recording.

That's hot melt glue... this pickup was cobbled together for testing purposes. Normally I epoxy the coil forms together. I usually tear the test pickups apart and reuse the parts. My wife does arts and crafts, so I was looking at her hot melt gun and borrowed it. It's actually pretty handy stuff.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                X