No announcement yet.

Anybody got a Jazzmaster lying around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got a Jazzmaster lying around?

I'm making an alternate neck pickup for one and wanted to know what the dimensions are inside the chamber (meaning inside the cover plus distance to the floor of the cavity.)

I have some stock pickups lying around, so really what I need to know is how much depth I have to play with. So, if you have one handy, could you slide a scale down in the slot and estimate the floor-to-top-of-cover-minus-approximate-cover-thickness spec?

Thanks!

Bob Palmieri

Its been a while ,But i believe the cavity depth is 5/8" from the surface of the guitar to the bottom with deeper cutouts for the screws
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks!

Any idea how far above the top the covers can comfortably go, and/or how thick the covers are? I'm tending to guess 1/4" for protrusion & .050" for cover thickness, but they're only guesses...

Bob Palmieri

Comment

I have a '59 Jazzmaster, but it's not here at the moment. I think I'll be heading to the workshop this weekend, so I'll take measurements. I installed a P-90 in one once. It was a 70s P-90 with the clear bobbin. I took a jeweler's file and elongated the pole screw holes so I could move them to fit the Jazzmaster cover. It worked out really well.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Here's my Jazzmaster. I didn't have to rout any deeper so 5/8'' is probably right.

Comment

Nice looking axe!

So, the neck pickup appears to be pretty flush with the pickguard in this case. Likely a similar situation in many others....

I think there's probably enough room for me to get into some interesting coil/magnet/fieldguide architectures on this project.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
              Nice looking axe!

So, the neck pickup appears to be pretty flush with the pickguard in this case. Likely a similar situation in many others....

I think there's probably enough room for me to get into some interesting coil/magnet/fieldguide architectures on this project.

Bob Palmieri
              Thanks Bob, yes I like my neck pickups pretty well level with the guard, this set I made up with Mojo PE42 and both pickups are really good, the neck is not woofy at all, I'm wondering why you don't like the ones you have or even rewind them, I couldn't be happier with mine. 10,000 on the br and 9,000 on the neck which worked out at 8.5k br and 7.5k neck, also used 1meg pots which is essential IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                I'm wondering why you don't like the ones you have or even rewind them
                They're not mine, and my client is really sick of the hum.

Also, unlike P90's I have a suspicion that a lot of the wire on the outside of those stock coils is along for the ride...

Bob Palmieri

Comment

I got a customer who wants me to make a set of strat pickups that sounds more like his jazzmaster , after he sampled a bunch of different pickups i have kicking around he found something he liked in a Alnico 2 strat pickup
                  Its a good starting point
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Good point; the smoother, fatter nature of those Alnico II Strat things would definitely provide a measure of the Jazzmaster thing.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

"I have a suspicion that a lot of the wire on the outside of those stock coils is along for the ride..."

yeah I wonder that too. probably be a good case for a FEMM simulation. it may be that the R L C of the outer winds act as a nice filter for the signal generated by the inner winds....
                      making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Working...
                      X